Author Topic: Ooops! Hot Ashes  (Read 1370 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Ooops! Hot Ashes
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:15:56 »
Burnt some wood the night before in incinerator.
In the morning I emptied the ashes into compo tub, the incinerator was stone cold and no smoke came from ashes and it was tipped onto damp soil and a few green nettles and weeds.

In doors I go, busy on laptop.

40 mins later, wife comes in and say something only fit for the watershed ;D

I glanced up and thought?  Hmmmm? thats more flames than could be caused by the junk mail I just burnt(honestly)!

That took 0.2 of a second and in the next half second I leapt up shouting HOSE and legged it out the door, grabbed bucket of water.

The brush screen had just burst into flames and I thought next doors fence had gone.

The first bucket of water went through screen and onto flaming water but and went woosh! Just like water on a fat fire :o

In about 45 second I threw about 60 gallons of water with my bucket from the pond, when it was all out I left hose on burnt remains for 10 mins and the burnt butt was still warm!!!

I still can`t believe how it actually ignited.

If "she" had come home 5 mins later then it would have been a different story..........

No I know why plastic bins have "No Hot Ashes" on them ;D

I was shaking afterwards :-[

2 weeks later and in the tone of Victor Mildrew, I still can`t believe it happened.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Ooops! Hot Ashes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 14:33:22 »
Definatley one for the joke book. But not so funny from your side I guess. One of the stories you read about are true but cant believe someone actually did it.....

When you tell the story down the pub - ensure you swap places with OH..... ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 20:10:51 »
I can definitely believe it. Hot ashes can be pretty deceptive, and a fire can remain hot for a long time. I've often stuck kindling into the middle of the previous day's ashes from a big fire, and had flame within a few minutes.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:32:21 »
Could have been worse. Glad nobody was hurt. I bet you don't do that again.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 21:50:21 »
Scary!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal