Author Topic: Soil in greenhouse - drying out?  (Read 1415 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Soil in greenhouse - drying out?
« on: January 01, 2007, 15:54:00 »
I usually change 75% of the soil i my greenhouses each year but this year as the levels are a bit low I think i will add to it - probably just before planting the first batch of carrots.

Silly question time - what does everyone do with the soil - do you let it dry out or keep it wet. I imagine that letting it dry out will keep the weeds down but will take some work to get the soil evenly moist come spring.

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Soil in greenhouse - drying out?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 16:11:59 »
I always keep mine as dry as possible in the winter (unless I have something growing in it) otherwise it seems to get covered in algae and moss which then spreads up the glass and requires even more cleaning in spring.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 18:19:23 »
Mine is nicely damp in the tunnel as I have quite a bit growing

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 19:06:13 »
I avoid watering onto it and let the lettuce and stuff draw water in from outside...
 ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 16:33:02 »
I have three greenhouses so can practice 'crop rotation' so no need to change soil each year.

Each year I dig in liberal amounts of farmyard manure prior to planting out, then I give the beds a good soaking, the water is taken up and stored in the manure.

This reservoir helps the tomatoes if I can't get to watering them every day.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 08:50:38 »
I have three greenhouses so can practice 'crop rotation' so no need to change soil each year.

Each year I dig in liberal amounts of farmyard manure prior to planting out, then I give the beds a good soaking, the water is taken up and stored in the manure.

This reservoir helps the tomatoes if I can't get to watering them every day.

I kind of rotate my beds within both g/houses but cant manure (sounds a good idea tho) because I grow carrots in between my other plants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal