Author Topic: Root aphids  (Read 1361 times)

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
Root aphids
« on: December 30, 2006, 18:27:47 »
Hi there,

I have a small garden that I want to grow lettuce in. However, last year they were attacked by root aphids. I've heard that there are some lettuce varieties that are immune to root aphids. Does anyone know which ones? Or have any nuggets of advice on how to deal with them (organically).

Thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Root aphids
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 19:04:03 »
Have you considered other saladings? Such as Chichory/endive which may not be attacked by them?
 ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 20:56:32 »
I've never had this problem, how do the aphids get on the roots, is it better growing them in pots any better, is it the growing medium ?

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 17:49:16 »
Thanks - I don't really like chicory and endive (bit too bitter for me) so that's not really an option - thanks for the suggestion though.

In reply to how they get there - I wish I knew!

They look like regular aphids but they are all white since they live underground. They seem to be in the soil and just pop up every year and grab hold of the roots. I think they suck the sap from the roots and over time the leaves go yellow. It's not a massive problem as they take a long time to kill the plant and I've usually harvested them before they have time to get a hold. But I'd just prefer not to have them really.

Thanks for the help

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal