Author Topic: Deep pots  (Read 1734 times)

AKG_Emma

• Not So New ...
    • The Alternative Kitchen Garden
Deep pots
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:18:54 »
Hi guys,

I have a pair of potato barrels, which are essentially 4 ft deep pots. I have had absolutely no success growing potatoes in them (mostly because they don't get enough water I think).

If I give up trying to grow potatoes, is there something else which would appreciate a really deep pot? I grow Jerusalem artichokes in pots but I don't know whether they will grow more if they have more depth or whether they spread sideways.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
Muppet
My blog: http://coopette.com/blog
The Alternative Kitchen Garden podcast: http://coopette.com/akg

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Deep pots
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:41:34 »
At Barnsdale Gardens they recommend growing JAs in containers, and were using half of a copper water tank.

a) stops them spreading in your veg patch
b) in winter you can haul a pot into the g'house so you can get them up if it's frosty
 :)

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:43:50 »
Hi I grow some of my squashes in galvanised dustbins. You have to keep on top of the watering in the summer but if you do the results can be very good. I think possibly because the soil gets very warm thus fooling the squashes into thinking they are back home in  the southern USA ;D ;).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 17:41:01 »
My sis grew her pumpkins in hers and did very well indeed as she was able to really direct the water and filled the container with almost all manure.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 17:46:58 »
Might purloin the old dolly tubs off the patio then!

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal