Author Topic: mushroom kit  (Read 6960 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: mushroom kit
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 04:59:29 »
Very nicely explained, thanks

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 06:46:24 »
Thank you baccyman :D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 09:28:55 »
PS I'm getting a couple of bags of 'spent' mushroom compost cos I've heard people saying it can still produce mushrooms - any tips on what to do with it to encourage them?

The compost will of been used to grow agaricus bisporus better known as button, closed cup, open cup, or flat mushrooms according to what stage they are picked at. Usually you will get loads of mushrooms it just won't produce enough for it to be commercially viable anymore.
Place the compost in a container at least 4" deep with as much surface area as possible. Keep at 16-25°C water regularly to keep it moist but not wet & keep it covered with a sheet of cardboard suspended abobe the surface of the soil this variety of mushroom will not grow if exposed too light.
I would use a pump action mister bottle for watering rather than a watering can to avoid exposing or damaging any mycelium directly below the surface.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 11:03:03 »
Baccy I can almost taste the mushies as you are explaining, I reckon you could write a book on them, that was very readable.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 12:24:25 »
Mushrooms just take a bit of practice it should be very easy using kits however they are frequently stored too long or at the wrong temperature which results in a lot of them failing. I could explain how to culture your own mushroom spawn but it is a complicated process & not worth the hassle for most people so I am just suggesting a simple non-sterile procedure that should work more reliably than the kits people are having problems with.
If i was going to write a book on something it would be either growing tobacco or brewing, mushrooms would be too broad a subject besides there are plenty of mycology forums which cover specific problems people have with them.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 13:11:43 »
Thank you very much Baccy-Man - you certainly know your mushrooms.  I have the compost now & will sort it out this afternoon, the man who brought it said it was delivered to him fresh yesterday, he usually rots it down for a year cos people complain if mushrooms grow in it in their gardens!!!! :)

Our local Starbucks has a container near the door of used coffee grounds to help yourself.  Going to try & persuade my daughter to pick up a bag a day as she works near there.  I'll let you know how I get on with both attempts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal