Author Topic: Organic Veg  (Read 2166 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Organic Veg
« on: January 07, 2007, 13:08:38 »
Not read it but I noticed on the BBC ceefax page today that one Minister as said that there is no proof that organic veg is better for you than veg that as been treated with chemicals, should start of a nice heated debate I should think.
Myself I think that a lot of so called organic veg on our supermarket shelves is not as organic as they say it is. I do not see how it can be so clean and good looking without the use of pesticides, you only have to get a cabbage from your allotment and you can almost guarantee that it as whitefly on and imposable almost to shake it all off.
Up to now I still use pesticides on my crops where and, only where needed, my view being that I grow crops for  the table not for the pests to eat, but this is only my view and I will not want to force it on anyone else.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Organic Veg
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 13:10:25 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6238227.stm

This is a link to the article on the BBC website.

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 13:17:27 »
Thank you for the link tulippa.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 16:09:31 »
Another Edwina Currie in the making?

Nick Hamilton said his organic farmer brother-in-law has to throw away more than four times the quantity of produce that a non-organic farmer does to pass the appearance selection standards set by supermarkets :o
Best tasting food is fresh food - I'd prefer local first and second earlies to Egyptian new potatoes, which might have been grown months before and cold-stored.
Organic food should mean that the planet hasn't been damaged through my food choices. I don't expect it to taste much different as it has been selected for appearance and shelf life, and selected on the grounds of looks, like all the other veg.
Prove to me that crops treated with chemical sprays are better for me than organic food, and I might start to eat them. Why should the burden of evidence fall on the other side?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 16:17:46 »
As far as fruit & veg goes,I cant really tell much difference in taste....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 17:57:02 »
we grew swift first early potatoes last year, they were delicious, my mum in law had us around for a meal and had bought us jersey royals as a 'treat', she should not have wasted her hard won money on them, and they were EXPENSIVE, they tasted nothing like the ones we grew, gave her some, she's looking forward to this year's harvest  ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 19:04:03 »
Do not understand what you are getting at Supersprout when you say another Edwina Currie in the making, I would not argue with you what you say about having to throw away a Nick Hamiltons brother-in- law, But who regulates all the foreign produce coming in to this country as being organic.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 21:31:29 »
Yes, that worries me too Richard. I'd rather buy local and fresh than organic and imported :-\

RSJK

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 19:23:03 »
100% agree with that staement supersprout but, I think I would rather grow it then buy it.
                             ;) ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 19:33:15 »
you bet richard :D
I do buy maincrop spuds (Desiree and Picasso) in bags from a gent at the roadside who kindly grows, harvests and dries them  8)
Typical convo in the farm shop, Downham Market:

Are these yours?
No
Oh (disappointed look)
My cousin grows them, they come all the way from Wisbech
Oh (happy) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal