Author Topic: over wintered pepper plants flowering again  (Read 1190 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
over wintered pepper plants flowering again
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:17:13 »
Decide to run a test on some pepper and chili plants this winter-

I dug a couple up and potted them harvested the peppers and chilli's and vigorously pruned back.
Chilli's to virtually ground level pepper to a 12" stalk with no side shoots.

Today both all are doing well (considering both also got bad whitely prior to pruning) and the pepper is flowering again. Fingers crossed for fruit in February.

Both are in my computer room at work where the servers run 24/7 and the air con keeps the temp at a steady 22.

The pepper is one of those Long thin red Italian varieties grown from supermarket seed.

Anyone else known them to do this?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: over wintered pepper plants flowering again
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 13:42:52 »
I'm sure if it gets enough light it will do the buisness at that temp... may have to help pollinate them..
 ::)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 19:30:16 »
I brought my chilli peppers into the house over winter and they've just carried on producing flowers and fruit, though the leaves are pretty scruffy!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 19:46:14 »
 my chilli plants and gardeners delight toms still growing and producing in unheated greenhouse at lottie /shades x
grow your own way

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 23:24:27 »
I have a bolivian chili still in full fruit and flowers.  I always try to overwinter a couple of plants just to give me an early start  - or rather prolong the season until the new plants kick in during the summer.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 13:02:06 »
I've keep some on the kitchen windowsill throughout the winter. They usually keep fruiting but I normally cut them back at some stage for space reasons, and to promote a bushier plant.

This year I've also cut back about 10 varieties including a sweet pepper and put them in the garage (unheated) under bubble wrap to see if they survive until I turn the GH heater back on (just at frost free level) in late February.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 17:51:43 »
I've done that with some sweet potato shoots and the ginger, just to see what happens , what d'you reckon, will they overwinter ?  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal