Author Topic: Decision made!  (Read 2374 times)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Decision made!
« on: January 01, 2007, 19:06:48 »
I know yesterday we had decided on a ploytunnel & reglazing the greenhouse well ...................

We got up this morning & OH said he wanted to go to the local garden centre to buy a plant & when we got there they were selling off their display greenhouses, most of them had been sold but there was a 8 x 10 still unsold it had been £699 but it was reduced to £250 we were umming & ahhring & the bloke said he could knock a bit more off – I was thinking £20 off when he said he could do it for £175, this seemed too much of a bargain to miss so we agreed – it’s got toughened glass which is good but adds £200 or so to the price.  Anyway it had a nice aluminum shelf marked £30 so I asked if that was included & he said it could be & then sitting in the middle of it was a large double cold frame marked £69 – I looked at it longingly & he said OK then you can have that as well!  I was really pleased & they are arranging for a bloke to dismantle it at their place & put it up here – that isn’t cheap but what the heck!  We came home &  set to taking the old one down – I hadn’t realized how much I hated it but it was a real joy to pull it to pieces. It is now in the front garden waiting for a skip, though we have salvaged the unbroken glass & polycarbonate to put on Freecycle.  So now I shall settle for a bigger greenhouse - probably a sensible decision in our garden but a very happy start to the year.  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Decision made!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 19:41:17 »
Always send in the Girls first.  What a prize!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 19:47:07 »
Always send in the Girls first.

;D ;D ;D

What a fabulous series of bargains!! I'm thrilled for you!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 20:43:51 »
Would of snapped his arm of myself too. ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 21:36:13 »
What a bargain!

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 13:01:36 »
Well Done Mary! Just have to fill it now!!
Kev ;D ;D
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 13:09:28 »
Wow, you've done really well there Mary, brilliant!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 14:43:23 »
Well done Mary - when I start bargaining for something I would buy at the marked price anyway, Gordon just shrinks and pretends he's not with me. But who is as pleased as Punch when my bargaining pays off  ;) ::).?

I recently went shopping for light fittings with an elderly friend who had just down-sized into a flat and not only got her the, for me, usual 20% off, but when I said 'Go on - with all these fittings my friend is buying, I'm sure there is a bit more discount in there somewhere!' got her another 10%. She was gob-smacked and once out of the shop said she's always taking me with her when she goes shopping :). I just love to haggle with a smile and it almost always pays off ;D.

I envy you your lovely new GH and only wish I had space in my minuscule garden for one. All I have is a 5 x 4 lean-to which gets crammed with first seedlings then toms. cucs. and peppers.

Again Well done you 8). Here's to a very successful first year in your shiny new GH.

Tricia

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 15:19:43 »
When he was considering the price I so nearly stepped in with an offer of £200 - I never thought he'd even go that low - I was so glad I'd shut up [unusual for me  ;D]

OH has spent most of his day off preparing the site for it - only problem is a huge tree stump bang in the middle which I shall bribe my youngest son to do something about when he gets back from his hols. If we can't get it out we shall just have to saw it off at ground level & put a pot on top of it!

Don't think filling it should be a problem Kev, as the old one was always bursting at the seams, but I'm really looking forward to trying!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 19:37:46 »
Well done MaryM.... filling it will be no problem at all... by the end of May you will be searching for more space again!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal