Author Topic: Which way?  (Read 1127 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Which way?
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:46:48 »
My plot runs east to west, which will have individual beds running north to south. I have been reading on here and new book I got yesterday that if plants are to be planted in rows they should run north to south as to not shade each other.

I had hoped to plant in rows across my beds (east to west), rather in rows up and down the beds.

Should I turn the beds 90 degrees to enable this as I am still clearing my plot or should I just carry on as I am.

Gary.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Which way?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 11:59:15 »
N-S is the generally accepted way, just watching Kitchen Garden DVD and if it was good enough for old Harry it is good enough for me!
 8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:12:37 »
we just make the beds where they fit, move the plants around to fit, shorter rows but more of them, if you see what I mean,  :)

STEVEPARTRIDGE

• Half Acre
    • MY ALLOTMENTS DIARY
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 17:34:57 »
Hi Gary, I hope that you have had a good Christmas. I have been growing using raised beds for 5 years now and I have my beds running mostly N-S and I have tried planting the crops in rows both N-S and E-W if that makes sense and I have found no difference in the resulting crops. As long as your plant spacing is correct and you do not plant anything that is very low growing right next to a very tall crop then you should have no problems, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 15:10:37 »
Thanks for the replies

After seeing the photos of Steve's if its good enough for you then its good enough for me.

Will just leave them as they are but pay attention to plant spacing.

Gary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal