Author Topic: Our first whitloof chicory.  (Read 1877 times)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Our first whitloof chicory.
« on: January 11, 2007, 18:41:58 »
This is our first cutting of chicory. It has been in the back of the garage since November, and we had forgotten all about it over Christmas. Barrie decided that as the weather was so bad, he would spring clean the garage. Lo and behold, Supper !!!!!!!!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Our first whitloof chicory.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 19:12:22 »
Oo deepest envy at your January harvest cookie :D This blanching business is fascinating - but I suspect it needs the gumption to sow at the right time of year. If you have a spare moment, how did you grow yours, and how long did it take from stumpy roots to those lovely shoots?

Glad you feel like chicons tonight ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 19:16:18 »
Very impressive I've only done sugarloaf and raddichio- leaf types never whitloof.
 ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 22:51:55 »
Oh swear words-you know I think I might have forgetten to order some seeds,oh well not too late.

SS-you sow them in the spring and lift in sucession from early December onwards. I put a couple of trimmed roots in a black pot,cover with soil,pop another black pot and put them on the boiler.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 22:56:36 »
Mine didn't germinate this year.  Only patchy last year.  I think the seeds have had it and I need to order new. 

They look amazing cookie.  Bet they tasted fantastic!  I love them with nice dippy things, or use them like boats.  YUMYUM!  And I just love the way they grow.  The first year I did them I lifted the pot everyday in anticipation of what was beneath.

Looks like I will need to get some seed to Stephan.  Where will you be getting yours from????

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 23:53:07 »
Ha Ha-EJ-usually from Moles or Suffolk Herbs but who knows?-some kind person might send us a few spare seeds?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 06:11:32 »
you sow them in the spring and lift in sucession from early December onwards. I put a couple of trimmed roots in a black pot,cover with soil,pop another black pot and put them on the boiler.

thank you Stephan, you make it sound so easy! ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 13:06:34 »
 ::) ;D

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 13:32:21 »
We are quite lucky here in holland, you can just buy a sack of 100 penne (chickory roots) for 7 euro, stick them in the ground(2cm spacing in square), cover them up and thats it. A lot better than having to grow from seed because the plants take up lots of room. Maybe you can order them, gl

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 22:41:26 »
Interesting tuinman.  I shall have to investigate!

mr salad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 19:19:51 »
I've grown witloof regularly over the years but this winter haven't yet got round to putting them to sprout again.  It's easy to do though and great to have in the middle of winter.
I'd rather be in the garden!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal