Author Topic: Disease free spuds  (Read 1590 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Disease free spuds
« on: December 27, 2006, 21:33:22 »
I have never planted late spuds before, always earlies only, kestrel. As I live in the north-east, which ones wold be recommended as most disease free and blight resistant. I know all may be susceptible to these but which are most hardy? Whilst I am posting this thread, what about 2nd earlies too?  ??? Any ideas appreciated.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Disease free spuds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 07:25:55 »
The most frost resiliant earlies are supposed to be Epicure, not sure I've heard/read about it being a problem for 2nds... at the other end? Not sure if you wanted earlyor lates resistance KT
 ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:02:08 »
Lates please :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 10:05:06 »
Valor has good blight resistance and crops well,they say Sante is best for overall pest and disease resistance but have not grow it myself as don't seem to be able to buy the seed locally. ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:15:53 »
I will probably be planting from sets as opposed to seeds

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 10:23:50 »
Sorry meant seed potatoes :-[

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 14:25:24 »
Sarpo Axona (from a Hungarian spud-breeder) is one of the latest varieties to hit the market. It's a red-skinned maincrop and was bred specifically for blight resistance and general hardiness to spud problems and good yields.

I tried it for the first time this year and it certainly ticks all the boxes for blight resistance etc: long after all the other varieties on my plot and neighbouring ones had given up the ghost, the Axona haulms were looking like something out of a promotional brochure  :D

The yield was good but I have to say that at first I wasn't that impressed by the SA's flavour (I'm comparing them to serious competition: the other mains I have are Maris Peer and PFA!)
However, now, after two months in store, their flavour is much, much improved and they're a really useful roast/bake/mash beastie. So I'm a convert and would definitely recommend the Axona!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 15:44:41 »
If the flavour improves with keeping I'll get some for Feb/March next year! (08).....
 8)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 19:32:24 »
Yes, I would confirm that the taste of Axona is much improved if they have been allowed to complete their growth cycle, and spend some time in storage. I have noted this fact over several years, as I first grew them, before they were commercially available. I carried out trials on three Sarpo varieties for HDRA.
 Axona was the one for best Blight resistance, being resistant to both early and late Blight. Mira was affected by early Blight, but did pull through to continue growing.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 19:55:28 »
...if they have been allowed to complete their growth cycle, and spend some time in storage...
I think this applies to other maincrop potatoes as well.  early varieties too  taste much better when left in the ground longer, say till midsummer. the first batch -usually ready in mide june around here -I find generally disappointing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal