Author Topic: Christmas Harvest  (Read 4131 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Christmas Harvest
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 20:12:22 »
Can't compete - long day - off to bed!!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 20:12:49 »
very very envious! ;) ;D

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 22:27:09 »
My dad told me to make big holes with a broom handle and widdle it arround, then fill the hole with sand and potting compost so the parsnips don't go too wonky, it looks like it worked this time - even though carrots grown in the same way were very twisted and ugly!

I thoroughly enjoyed digging them up, like finding burried treasure.  The biggest one is 12" round, I just hope it's not too woody inside.  Should be enough parsnips there to feed us all on Monday, 11 for dinner (OMG what have I done!!!)

Thank you for your nice comments, Merry Xmas

Helen

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 08:28:40 »
I'll def. try that next year tinkie but will need a lighter parsnip planter, the one I made is like a caber :-\ and I won't multi sow either :-[

Still puzzling out why the JA crop is so good - several the size of sweet potatoes this year. Apart from Jen's brilliant tubers (and m*lch) the 'different' thing this year was spacing - the JAs were planted 1m apart.  One of my old gardening books says that that generous spacing can make a big difference to the size of the tubers. Having planted anywhere from 12" apart in the past, I'll give them the full metre from now on :) IMO they're a gorgeous plant and luxury vegetable, at this size they're as easy to peel as spuds so well worth it ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 08:31:17 by supersprout »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 08:35:31 »
the JAs were planted 1m apart

:o Mine were about 15 inches apart, same as for my first early potatoes. The tubers are coming out the size of average carrots (not my carrots  :D). I think I will increase to 2ft spacing.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 09:30:54 »
Off to the plot after breakfast.  A normal 8 minute journey by car is going to take nearer 40 mins as I sit in the queue at Kelly's Turkeys whilst peeps go to collect their bird for the big day.  Promise to take a photo once I am home, mulled wine in hand!  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 15:41:17 »
I've been using home grown herbs and garlic in various dishes today and tomorrow morning I will be going out to pick watercress for garnish.  Not as impressive as everyone else's harvest but I'm pleased with myself anyway.   ;D

Season's greetings to one and all.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 17:51:52 »
Proper Watercress is impressive Georgie I make do with Land Cress a weed with an attitude problem! My Chrysanthemum greens are doing so well they are pushing up the frame lights so I feel a stir fry coming on soon!
 ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 18:28:13 »
A normal 8 minute journey by car is going to take nearer 40 mins as I sit in the queue at Kelly's Turkeys whilst peeps go to collect their bird for the big day.  ;D

I'm lucky enough to only be a 5minute walk from mine. ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 18:36:42 »
Made it!  Took number one daughter and we giggled the whole time.  Did very well for the big day - plenty to see us through until New Year!

Chard, brussel tops, sprouts, cavalo nero kale, parsnips, leeks, carrots and romanesco caulis.  Pulled a small celeriac which went in with the ham which is still cooking, along with any damaged or slugged carrots.  Plus picked a BIG handful of flat leaf parsley which has now been mixed with chestnuts to stuff the bird tomorrow!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 18:38:24 »
Wow Emma, that looks fabulous ... I think there is a cooker underneath there somewhere ... ?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 18:47:05 »
I went out this afternoon to my kitchen garden (plot will hopefully be up and running this time next year!). I only have two raised beds, and managed to find TWO whole parsnips, and ONE huge carrot (from some French seed tape I bought on hols at Easter..the rest didn't germinate!) all hidden amongst my chard which is still going strong.

Luckily I had two big pots of carrots as well, both pots will just about do the 6 of us at lunch tomorrow! Purple dragon look very pretty, but I just know my father will baulk at the colour! Can't wait to get growing at the lottie now.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 19:13:50 »
Fabulous EJ, bee-yoo-tiful veg :o :D
worth starting all over again, hope the rest of winter whizzes by
It's great to think of all those healthy platefuls going down tomorrow! :P ::) ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2006, 19:29:30 »
Looks top notch EJ, OH's sister came round for dinner she lives next to a farm so she brought me round a bale of straw so I give them some leeks,parsnips and shallots hope they bring me another next time.
( someone mention no names will be jealous of all that straw. )   :D :D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 19:37:48 »
she brought me round a bale of straw

I hope you said ta! very mulchly ...  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 19:49:06 »
@ kev! ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 19:56:17 »
Thanks Saddad.  Watercress is easy peasy in pots - just stand in a deep saucer (the watercress I mean  ;)) and keep the saucer topped up with fresh water.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2006, 20:36:43 »
Ooooooooh! Drooling all over the keyboard-thingy. Pictures and descriptions of all your goodies truly wondrous! I used to LOVE Christmas Eve (when my nearly-a-lottie was productive) - just seeing the fruits of time well spent over previous months was always so rewarding and preparing the stuff was a delight, not a chore! Even picking frozen sprouts was a pleasure! And oooooooooooo the flavour at nose-bag time!!!!! These days I get 'catered for' at my daughter's. Lots of fresh veg, of course, but all bought from the local farm shop this year. She only moved into her present house in late August so nothing home-grown. Big garden, though, (and a Mum very willing to sow, prick out and do all the non-physical stuff!) - so maybe next year.............. ;) ;D
Bon appetit for tomorrow. I hope you all have a magical Christmas! xxx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal