Author Topic: GM CROPS....  (Read 1439 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
GM CROPS....
« on: December 30, 2006, 15:39:53 »

are they grown in this country or not?

do you live where gm trials are going on?

I know a farmer in Derbyshire pulled out of a potato  trial beginning of Dec.

I need to know before I reply to a House of Commons letter I received  re my
local mp and defra

thanks /shades x
grow your own way

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: GM CROPS....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 16:13:00 »
apparently they are . Not sure where though. Last year on the news some farmers were being harassed by Eco warriors, (if that is the right term) for growing stuff. The government apparently gives incentives for farmers to do this. Dont know the full ins and outs though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 16:42:57 »
thanks for replying :)

I have a letter saying NO gm crops are currently being grown in the UK and wont be until evidence shows they are safe for human health and the environment.

as a heritage (and other) seed saver, the government doesn't have to tell allotment holders,gardeners or farmers who save seed that they are carrying out trials near us/you/me. So I wrote to my mp.

I just don't believe what the government is telling me! Have I seen to many films?!/shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 16:44:33 »
I believe they are, but I don't know the details. The government's extremely persistent about this, I suspect to appease its US masters, and the antipathy of us peasants just doesn't seem to figure. They're also increasingly secretive about it, since they don't want us to excersise our traditional right to peaceful protest. Anything goes in the US if it's got the gods of Big Business behind it, they even allow cloned meat now without any labelling or anything. This so-called 'Labour' government seem to want the same ethos over here.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 18:29:46 »
Yes, they are growing GM crops, as said previously there was an item on the news about it because protesters were running through the fields and trying to destroy them this goverment stinks, it would not know the truth if it jumped up and bit there tongues.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 18:31:31 »
trouble is, are there any that would be better, although I don't want to start a political thread, I feel they're all the same once they're in power

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 19:23:07 »
I really detest all things GM and the very concept. As a seed saver and being personally involved with what I eat and feed my children I would like to know. What about Freedom of Information?
 :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 19:52:15 »
They're now undermining their own Act since it works rather too well for them!

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 16:18:28 »

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 17:15:23 »
Hi shades, i'm no expert, but i certainly believe they are doing gm trials in this country, and just not telling us about it because they know of the uproar that would ensue. Having read the two links posted above, i think the current legislation seems to suggest that crops can't be grown 'commercially' at present, but doesn't say that trials are against the law - or am i misunderstanding? Good luck with your campaign x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:53:24 »
thanks for your replies  :)
Timelady-I'm aware of the links- thanks anyway
the page about the German chemical company supplying the potato tubers is scary :o :o :o don't you think?

Kitten- I don't think you are misunderstanding, thats why they are growing spuds,
defra seems to think critters wont dig them up and move them ::) They obviously don't have foxes and squirrels in there part of the world, like the rest of us do :P.

carry on seed saving saddad and Rb :-*/shades x
grow your own way

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:23:35 »
The governments answer to Gm crops we will never truely know. Click on this link I posted recently. Sounds so true...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,26801.0
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal