Author Topic: Newbie question about shallots  (Read 1783 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Newbie question about shallots
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:54:44 »
My Mum used to grow shallots but it's a first time for me! I've read the Bookes, but you can't beat expert advice from shallotmenteers ;D
Should they be planted individually, or can they be sown in clusters like onions?
About how far apart for a bed system (intensive) - they are long (Longor!) rather than fat.

Any special tips or tricks for shallots please? :)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Newbie question about shallots
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:28:50 »
Hi SS,  :D
                Well, no doubt ther are many "experts" out there who will have their own way of dealing with shallots, I am not one of them , but here`s what I do.
 Plant them in reasonably fertile soil (not heavily manured) in early February, 9 inches apart (22 cms) in rows 12 inches (30 cms) apart. plant indivudual bulbs, do not plant in groups. Thats it  ;D  apart from watering when they start to swell & a bit of weeding, knowing your mulching method weeding won`t be needed ;)
 Each bulb will divide into approx 6 bulbs so from 50  you will get quite a lot ::)
 About mid July they will push themselves upwards & they need lifting. I lift the whole clump & then spread them out on racks to dry. This takes up to 3 weeks. I use an old 3 tiered veg rack, give them as much sun as possible this drys them out well & enables you to keep them right through the winter. If the summer is wet , cover them or keep them in the greenhouse. When dry store them in onion bags or cut up some old tights & slip them down the legs, hang them up in dry shed or garage , checking from time to time to pick out the mouldy one`s

Adrian.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:42:53 »
I plant them in beds, nine inches apart each way, and put a couple of inches of grass cuttings over them. Otherwise I do much the same. Definitely plant singly; one bulb can turn into quite a clump by next sumer.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:31:21 »
All that - plus

DON't push them into the ground. Dib them in.
Six - depends on variety - I've had 25!!
Longor, Jermor etc - much more chef-friendly!

Do keep weed free.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:52:58 »
Dibbing them in is right; I just make a hole and drop them in. Don't worry too much about depth, but no more than an inch or two down at most. One advantage of covering them with mulch is that, quite apart from keeping weeds down, the birds don't pull them out again. Keeping them weed-free is particularly important at first while they're growing, as they're easily out-competed, but probably doesn't matter so much after the beginning of June.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 13:02:28 »
Thank you all, there's more reassurance and practical know how here than from all the Bookes ::) :D
I've got 100 to plant, at Robert's 9x9" that's two beds full, seems about right, nice to get six off each - but 25 tim? eek might have over-ordered :-[ typical newbie thing ;D

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 13:09:58 by supersprout »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 15:37:38 »
:) :) As Robert says dib and drop, but I don't tend to go so deep although I didn't have to much problem with the birds, had the odd one pulled out but pressed earth down firmly. I also fed with rooster pellets they were two buckets for a fiver so I bought four and all the onions got a healthy feeding, Plenty of water until they got started then let them fend for them selves unless bone dry. I'm still eating them now with plenty still in the lottie shed.   ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 17:55:16 »
Thanks all. You have answered all my questions I had on shallots too. Pasted answers  into My Documents , allotment file  ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 22:47:47 »
Planted mine end March here, still got a good crop. Must admit, I do push them in  :-[ although the soil would have been well dug and plenty of manure put in well beforehand.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:16:44 »
If you are wanting to do a bit if showing you should grow Hative de Noirt or Aristocrat as these generally only grow four in a group so you do not get flat sides. I plant early March and just make a little hollow with a trowel stand the shallot and just firm the soil around. This leaves the soil below soft to allow the first roots to go down rather than tend to push up, leaving the bulb subject to birds lifting to get to moisture.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 19:37:46 »
Does anyone plant shallots on (or near) the shortest day like the regulars say? What will happen if I do, then it turns cold - will they be OK? ::)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 19:54:07 »
The main thing that happens with planting on the shortest day is that you spend a lot of time replanting as they keep getting lifted by frost during Jan/Feb..
Although the old books say plant on shortest lift on longest I have never found anyone who does this. Most exhibitors ( who tend to take a lot of trouble) tend to start them in pots in the geenhouse to give them a long season, and if you want pickling shollots they leave them in the pots to starve.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 22:45:46 »
Dib them in well, cover them with mulch and they won't lift. Mine went in early in the autumn.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 06:43:49 »
Worth an experiment then; half now, half in a couple of months' time :)
Thank you both :-*

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 08:01:47 »
And I'll stick to mid-Feb to mid-Mar..

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 13:06:47 »
:) I phoned our local shop on Monday he said shallots are  not in until January, to plant early March. I'll stick em in after frosts Feb/March.   ;) :D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 15:53:49 »
I planted mine close to the shortest day last year, but ended up digging them up during January as I'd planted them a bit deeply  :-[ Once replanted they were very happy.  But I've not been able to find any in shops - suppliers say it'll be January before they get them in.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal