Author Topic: Whats in a name  (Read 6893 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Whats in a name
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 13:22:16 »
PS...

friends have 3 daughters.....first 2 have really pretty names.

the third?

they called her Maud.

think there should be a law making mums'n'dads using the names they want to inflict on their children for 6 months before saddling the poor kids...

and btw....first 2 prettily-named children were really well-behaved....Maud? well....a bit more spirited, so to speak....

Good on 'er! 8)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 13:52:46 »
One of the landed gentry type families near wher I grew up named their pair wee laddie Torquhar, surname Corchorton.  Then he developed a speech impediment.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 16:52:04 »

..first 2 prettily-named children were really well-behaved....Maud? well....a bit more spirited, so to speak....

Good on 'er! 8)

Believe me, she'd have to be.......from one who knows  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 17:07:47 »
An ex-bf of mine had Tarver as a middle name - he used to put it on his CV cos he thought it would get him noticed.  Hmmm, yes....   :-\

I don't really like my name (Not sally, but Nina!) cos when people ask my name and I tell them I always get "Lina? Mina? Gina? Dina?"  No Nina ! Annoying.
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 17:20:56 »
Am I one of the few who really like their name? (hate m iddle name Irene) When people ask how come youngest daughter was named after me Charlie would tell them we couldn't think of anything else ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 17:41:35 »
I like mine Lorna......don't know if I would like it had I been a boy.....Nathaniel was the name of choice!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 18:51:51 »
To paraphrase P G Wodehouse in one of his Jeeves and Wooster tales, 'there have been some terrible crimes committed at the font'.

Me. I'm more that happy with my Christian names - Valerie Margaret (hence my signature valmarg - my husband's 'pet' name for me).

As my sister and I were born towards the end of WWII, and dad was away 'doing his bit'.  His names were Robert Oliver.  My sister is more than happy to be Sheila rather than Olive.

Personally, I am more than happy with Valerie, rather than Roberta, which was a possibility!!

The diminutive name of Robert is Bob, and the diminutive name for Roberta is Bobby.

I went to school with a girl called Roberta, and far from the attractive 'Bobby', she was known as Bert (wether she liked it or not, and I think the or not was her preference!!)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 20:35:51 »
My first ever boyfriend was called Keilson, never heard of it before or since!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 21:26:11 »
I heard from a cousin of mine today saying that his daughter has given birth  and they have called her Persephone :o  Poor little thing to be saddled with a name like that IMO of course ;) (Apologies to anyone who has this name)  I have never heard of it, sounds like something from the Bible or such like.  Aparently she is to be called Sephy, so what's the point :-\
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 21:34:21 »
She's from a Greek myth. She was the daughter of Zeus and Demeter, and lives peacefuly in the country, away from the other deities, uintil she was carried off and raped by Hades, god of the underworld. Life on earth came to a standstill as Demeter searched for her daughter. Everything was dying, and in the end Zeus was persuaded to send Hermes to get her back Hdes was forced to release her, but he tricked her into eating  a number of pomegranate seeds before she left. As a result she was forced to spend that number of months with Hades every year. The number of months varies in different versions of the story, according to the number of months regarded as being part of the winter in that area.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 21:39:48 »
Thanks for that Robert - I wish I was as clever as you ;) ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 21:46:43 »
I think Persephone is a lovely name, but I can understand the peer issues ...

My daughter is called Jennifer, my wife chose it, the name is a modern derivative of an early English name - Guinevere ... (my middle name is Arthur, as it happens ...)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 22:35:39 »
I have one ancestor born in the late 18th Century in Cumberland who was named EZEETA   I think thats quite a nice name but never ever seen it written down again as a persons name.  Wonder where it originates, not even in Google. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 23:05:53 »
I can find Izita and Ezita as names, but they seem to be rare.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 23:21:20 »
Hows about Ezeeta Oates.

Anyone listening to Wake up to Wogan of a morning will be familiar with:-

Mick Sturbs
Tess Tickle
Eileen Tudor-Wright
Edna Cloud

and many, many more.

And many more very contrived, but nonetheless humerous!!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 00:12:31 »

If she gets really unlucky she could end up being called 'Percy-phone' or worse at school  :(

But it's a very pretty name (pronounced properly!) and she'll probably be ok. There's a far greater diversity of names used (specially for girls) these days. 
My kids' classes are full of wonderful names that may sound unfamiliar to the English ear but are lovely nonetheless. Nabiha, Keertika, Rujiha ... and then there are ones taken from films etc (we know a Trinity and two Nikitas**). So Persephone hardly stands out in such a crowd!

**Cause you really want to name your baby daughter after a ruthless fictional assassin, don't you?  ::) 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 07:51:02 »
We have a great selection of names amongst my children's peers.... my altime favourite was Sequoia (?) as in giant Redwood and her sister Tsunami Strange parents or what?
 ???

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 12:18:57 »

If she gets really unlucky she could end up being called 'Percy-phone' or worse at school  :(

But it's a very pretty name (pronounced properly!) and she'll probably be ok. There's a far greater diversity of names used (specially for girls) these days. 
My kids' classes are full of wonderful names that may sound unfamiliar to the English ear but are lovely nonetheless. Nabiha, Keertika, Rujiha ... and then there are ones taken from films etc (we know a Trinity and two Nikitas**). So Persephone hardly stands out in such a crowd!

**Cause you really want to name your baby daughter after a ruthless fictional assassin, don't you?  ::) 

Surely Nikita was named after Kruschev  ;D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 14:24:34 »

Surely Nikita was named after Kruschev  ;D

Ok, ruthless fictional assassin and political leader   ;) ;D
(though I'm not sure that the parents of the Nikitas we know will ever heard of Krushchev. I'd guess they weren't born till 20 years after the Cuban missile crisis!)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 18:50:48 »
possibly from the song by elton john, 'nikita', I quite like that, not sure about tsunami, though  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal