Author Topic: Creamed rice  (Read 1890 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Creamed rice
« on: December 30, 2006, 18:42:38 »
Strange how I discover wonderful dishes when just pootling around in the kitchen. Tonight was one such event, wife was late arriving home and due to work tonight, so I thought I best start some food cooking. Well there were two chicken breasts defrosted (wrapped in bacon), so I considered what to accompany them to feed three people. Found two half empty pots of double cream in the fridge, so decided to use those (close to use by date anyway ...).

In the absence of a proper recipe, here is what I did ...

Large pan (I used a heavy stainless frying pan - my favourite pan), add about 4 tablespoons of oil and one large chopped onion, and 4 cloves of garlic (one each plus one for the pot ...). Also added four handfuls of basmati rice (I measure it by hand). Fried gently for a couple of minutes, then added water to cover, topping up until the rice was cooked, and all the liquid was absorbed. Seasoning was added to taste, together with a handful of frozen peas (not mine alas). I then stirred in about three tablespoons of double cream, and folded it in until well mixed.
The chicken cooked in the oven while this was being prepared.

I believe this is the most divine tasting rice I have yet cooked, and will definitely be doing it again. There were lots of approving murmurs ...  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Creamed rice
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:03:48 »
If you didn't have a wife and I didn't have a husband I'd ask you to marry me Curry. ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:43:38 »
Thought for a moment that you meant Ambrosia!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 12:28:55 »
Emagggie, do I gather that blokes who cook are in rather short supply?

Tim, the result was rather like a savoury version of Ambrosia ...  :D

Update - since I now use copious amounts of garlic, just finished planting some more garlic from cloves left lying around on the allotment ... now have about 150 standard garlic and about 50 elephant garlic planted. Hope that will be enough ...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:40:12 by Curry »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:56:48 »
seems like you've discovered the joys of risotto Derek and it's not always necessary to use Arborio or other risotto rice, although they do absorb flavours better.

And Tim...like you, thought it was an  Ambrosia thread for a min :o :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 13:21:29 »
Seems so Alishka, although I have cooked with rice as a savoury dish for many years. The key point here was that I never even considered adding cream before. I tend to cook by instinct, only using recipes like a direction finder. A whole plethora of subtle variations appear possible, which is why I enjoy cooking !

I tend to use Basmati rice a lot because it is readily available locally, and seems suitable for our uses.

PS thank you for using my real name, I much prefer it ...  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 13:24:13 by Curry »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 14:19:49 »
Emagggie, do I gather that blokes who cook are in rather short supply?

Yes, and I'm getting fed up with trying to please a fussy one. ;D
(but I know he'll enjoy the rice dish)
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 18:25:32 »
youngest son, the chef, has just gone back to leicester so it's back to the cooker for me, did some wonderful dishes while he was here, he's supposed to be back for easter,  :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 18:43:16 »
Since I appreciate my own cooking (whether good or bad), I have tremendous respect and gratitude when someone else cooks ... which is most of the time ...

Derek

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 01:15:30 »
Manic just had a look to see which area you live, pity you are so far,I did think I might take a leisurely drive past your house at Easter ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 07:57:30 »
he's the chef in Leicester uni, so he's giving all those students a good feed !!  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal