Author Topic: My Little Jungle....  (Read 2456 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
My Little Jungle....
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:25:39 »
Hey,

I've had to bring most of my houseplants onto the fireplace thing because they're normally dotted around the house on window sills but the glass is so cold on the window...i'm having leaves rot off where they've been touching the glass.

so i took some pictures of them cos they look so pretty in my living room lol. the pictures are taken with a flash so it looks really dark in the living room, but it isn't that dark really lol.

these are some of the plants on my window sill:

these are my jade leaves that i left on the gravel underneath the plant...not sure if you can see but little plants are forming at the edge:

these are my two umbrella plants:

this is my musa basjoo (japanese banana). i've bought it inside....and it seems to need a lot of space lol....but i just couldn't face cutting off all those stunning leaves for winter. it's just producing another leaf:

these are just some random shots i took of the rest of them:

:)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: My Little Jungle....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:07:29 »
Somewhere a triffid could feel really at home  ;D

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 08:47:05 »
Beautiful plants, Wahaj. How long does it take you to polish all those glorious, glossy leaves?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:04:26 »
10 mins a week with a sponge and some lemon juice lol.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:11:53 »
Looks a brilliant collection of well loved and cared for plants Wahaj. :)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:12:54 »
Looks a brilliant collection of well loved and cared for plants Wahaj. :)

i have lost a few on the way though :(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:47:10 »
Lemon juice? Learn every day!!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 22:24:23 »
Lemon juice? Learn every day!!

lol. you should dilute it down a little bit otherwise all the leaves feel a bit sticky.....but it's not more harmful than having crusty calcium deposits on the leaves.

the acid in the lemon cuts right through the calcium in the water.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:24:44 »
You've put me to shame...I need to get dusting my houseplants! I'm going to try what you've done with my jade too.  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:16:21 »
Fabulous collection and photos wahaj, it must be in the Genes :o ::)

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 20:47:22 »
Fantastic,
Puts my collection to shame.

I ended up putting a patio door in for my plants in the hallway owing to there being no windowsills in my house!

trina
never drive faster than angels can fly

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 21:17:21 »
bless ya. my bf keeps rolling his eyes when i walk in with more plants every day lol. i have a few more plants since i took those pics so i might take more pics.

half of my living room is taken over by them lol.

but sadly i had to go away for a week for xmas and a few of them died....and some look like i can't save them so will die aswell. there are some plants that i just don't know how to make happy. there's one that always looks really misreable however much info i try to find out about it...

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 23:58:13 »
these are some new pics i took.

the 2 ficus i rescued from B&Q today. it was a £1 for the two so a bargain but most of the plants that i've tried to "rescue" back from a bad state have never recovered. and ficus are known to shed their leaves when they move home. but hopefully they'll live.

this is a little croton i bought. always wanted one so i dragged it back on the train from bristol lol.

these are my japanese black pine that have germinated. i intend to make most of them into bonzai....which'll obviously take a few years before i even think about making them into bonzai trees. some will go in a pot in the garden.

these are my mixed flowering cacti seedlings that now sit in my new electric propagator that i was given as a present for xmas. awww...look at the little babies!

this is one of the plants that suffered from not being watered for a week while i was away. see all the leaves have gone crisp.

and these are some of the succulents that i'm trying to root like i did with my jade. the leaf structure looks pretty much the same on most of them to the jade so no harm in trying.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal