Author Topic: Brandy  (Read 3424 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Brandy
« on: December 12, 2006, 18:18:26 »
I know it is a drink.....but it isn't making it so I thought maybe it would be better here.  Anyhow, used up my bottle of Cognac today making the mulled wine (mince pies made to....oooo going to have a good night tonight!) and just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent brandy/cognac to me - not firewater as my old Great Grandad used to say.  I want a nice one (not bank breaker) as we have lots of friends over between Chrissy and new year and I like to be able to offer a full selection of booooooooooze!  :P

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Brandy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 19:07:11 »
I just went for the one with £2 off today!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:41:00 »
If you want Cognac (from Cognac) then Hennesey, Remy Martin and Otard are 3 that I've tried, XO is the best grade, but you can get VSOP at reasonable prices too. But why not try Armagnac (next door to Cognac) or, a very nice alternative, Calvados, an apple brandy from Normandy. Tesco and Waitrose do it at reasonable prices.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:50:30 »
Quite like Fundador as a plonk.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:51:02 »
I engaged in the 'trou normande' when abroad, but cannot get accustomed to spirits, perhaps that is a blessing ... ?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 17:46:55 »
Ooo Jen, wonder if the bank manager will let me splash out on all three!

Unfortunately for me Curry, I am accustomed to all drinks and enjoy them all - except ouzo and campari!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 18:38:13 »
Ditto on the ouzo and campari, brought a half(?) bottle of raki back from Turkey, think it will stay in the cupboard forever !

Don't want to run off topic, but a tradition we 'acquired' is to have dilute tequila sunrise at breakfast, far more fun than bucks fizz, and it certainly sets me up for the day !
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 18:48:03 by Curry »

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 18:53:23 »
I'm an armagnac fan too along with most people who enjoy brandy.  Prunier or Janneau are pretty reliable.  However, more expensive than brandy.  Whatever you do, don't buy Napoleon VSOP - very rough! :D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 19:32:25 »
EJ, fron what you say in your original posting, whatever it is you want brandy-wise is a what I would call a 'cooker'.  For this purpose, supermarket 'own-brands' aren't bad.  My favourite is Sainsbury's VSOP three years old French Brandy.

The Remy VSOP, et al, expensive brandies are to sip with your coffee after a meal, not to slug in the mincemeat!!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 19:37:09 »
EJ, you say you want a nice cognac or brandy.

I don't know if £20-ish counts as a 'bank-breaker' (it's certainly a rare treat in chateau triffid!) but you might enjoy the Armagnac I'm sipping as I write   -- 

*good health, all!*

It's Chateau du Tariquet, Vieil Armagnac XO. Got this from Waitrose; don't know if anyone else stocks it.

But very smooth; full of flavour. Yum!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 22:14:10 »
The cognac that I used in my cooking was a very expensive one indeed - I'm one of those people who don't keep things just for special occassions - things get used well in this house.  What I am after is something delicious and drinkable, not rough, so who ever is guzzling it is enjoying every sip.  The Armagnac sounds fab triffid - I shall have to go investigate further.  Thanks for the ideas peeps.  I will steer clear of Napolean.  ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 22:34:50 »
Sounds just like me when cooking with wine EJ ...  :D

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 16:51:07 »
Tim - you are the man. Just signed in after three weeks with computer off to see your recommendation for FUNDADOR. It is totally my favorite brandy with a wonderful toasty/caramel flavour. I am sure the Fundador we can buy here is not quite the same as that bought in Spain - hence, tucked away in the drinkie cupboard is a bottle from our Spanish trip earlier this year, with my name on, just waiting for the right moment.  ;D Do you have a recommendation for the right mo' ?
Chantenay.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 18:07:25 »
Glad you said that - had it in my original draft - that ours is always by in-laws from Spain.

When? When needs must??

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 19:09:30 »
Spanish?  Ah, Carlos Primero - very fond memories  ;D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 19:16:15 »
the Armagnac I'm sipping as I write   --  It's Chateau du Tariquet, Vieil Armagnac XO

Sounds wonderful I think I need to go shopping... :P

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 19:41:28 »
The French family who came to stay brought a bottle of very dusty old Armagnac. So dusty that I wiped it over before putting it into the cupboard.

They nearly left in disgust.

But it was superb!!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 23:39:54 »
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Fundador. G'Night sweet ladies.Oooops. Lost it.
Chantenay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal