Author Topic: Christmas Trees  (Read 1309 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Christmas Trees
« on: December 12, 2006, 18:30:03 »
I know this comes up year after year, but just what is the best type to have? Natural or artificial.

I have always had an artificial one and beleived that this was better than some cut bit of conifer that slowly dies over the christmas period then has to be disposed of (not always in a 'green' fashion - ie dumped in landfill rather than recycled). Artificial trees on the other hand last year in year out, and whilst they dont look 100% natural, this is out weighed by the fact that it does last  a lot longer than natural ones.

This was until i read articles in Amateur Gardening magazine a couple of weeks ago. The first was by Bob Flowerdew, like me a firm supporter of artificial trees, citing the same problems with natural trees as I have stated above. Then in response to this was an 'industry' counter argument, that it is the artificials that are wastefull, that they are not biodegradeable, made of harmfull chemicals, dont last that long before looking tatty and are replaced, and most are imported from China, meaning pollution is created getting them here. On the other hand natural trees are a renewable resource (farmed) and can be recycled (biodegradeable). This has confused me somewhat, and is slightly disturbing in that while i thought i was doing my bit for the environment by having an artificial tree, I could instead be harming it!

Persnaly I think the best solution is to grow your own tree in a pot which can live outside most of the year, and be brought inside for the key period to be decorated etc. Then you get the best of both worlds. A tree which lasts more than one year, but is natural, good for the environment and when it comes to the end of its life can be recycled and used in the garden. Trouble is for most people this is too much bother, and the cut tree industry is so big and profitable that growers wouldnt make much money out of container grown trees.

So what do you do and whats your veiw on the subject?

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 23:31:10 by triffid »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Christmas Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 18:58:49 »

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 19:31:11 »
 ;D
No probs -- shows how up with the zeitgeist and all that you are!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 22:54:44 »
Richard we bought an expensive artificial tree  2 years ago after always having a real one.  I wish i had done it sooner, no mess.  We take it down in sections each year put the sections in a black bag tie it up untill 2nd week in December. Treat yourself to a good one if you can it will stay looking nice.If it gets dusty blow it with a hairdryer. (same with artificial flowers ok.)  Rosebud. ;D ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:37:43 »
Rosebud. We had one artificial one for around 20 years! It was a well made one clearly but did start to look tatty in the last couple of years of its life. Its replacement has lasted about 10 years and has been replaced this year with a nice new white tree (which look rather nice these days). We added a second tree to the collection when we moved to our current house which being much bigger than the previous one meant we had room for 2 (one in living room one in the hall). This second one must now be about 8 years old. Still looking good, but thats probably because we kept the box it came in for storage. Both trees get carefully packed away and put up in the loft at the end of the season.

The trouble is most people who have artificial trees dont care for them as well so they ned replacing more frequently. Thats where the problem arises. IMO If you dont look after an artificial tree you might just as well go down the natural tree route.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 13:29:27 »
we also have two artificial ones, we liberated one from a car boot sale, 4 years ago, agree about looking after them, the other one was donated to us when our daughter moved, can't stand to see things wasted so our house gets full, lots  :D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 16:54:36 »
we also have two artificial ones, we liberated one from a car boot sale, 4 years ago, agree about looking after them, the other one was donated to us when our daughter moved, can't stand to see things wasted so our house gets full, lots  :D

Know the feeling well! LOL

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 17:45:44 »

the small one, full of things with nostalgia, things we've made with the kids, things ray's mum's knitted, lovely  :D

this is the bigger one, I always wanted glass ornaments, so when the children grew up, all the animals passed on so, it's full of beautiful glass ornaments, including some of my mum's 35 year old ones  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 18:20:41 »
My tree last year got cut up into 'logs' and put in a corner of the garden for wildlife to live in. A larger piece will have some holes drilled into the end when I  get around to it!
It really depends how you dispose of a natural tree, most councils now woodchip them and compost. Burning them should be avoided. Some natural trees are imported but damaging chemicals are released into the environment during the manufacture of artifical trees. There are pro's and con's on both sides.
Most natural trees are grown for that purpose which makes them sustainable and they use up CO2 and give off some oxygen while they grow.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 20:27:48 »
Artificial best for me. Got little kids so natural could end in tears in my house if they get pricked with the needles. :-\
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 02:06:10 »
KTL -- our nordmann tree's needles are big and soft and bendy. It's a real teddy bear of a tree (not like the old-style spruce needles which could be used to hang pictures with!)

Tiny Triffid's only three and she can't resist stroking it!   :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal