Author Topic: leaf police  (Read 2011 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
leaf police
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:57:02 »
just heard about an article on Matthew Wright's show
someone was brushing leaves from the outside part of their drive, beyond their wall, a person from the council told her she was taking work from people, her responsibility was for leaves on her property !!
matthew has no trees and everyone elses leaves end up on his garden,
he was sweeping them up and was told he was using the wrong bags and had to buy special ones so, he brushed them all on to the road

I don't know about anywhere else but there are roads around here  where the leaves have been left on the ground since they fell for anyone to slip over on..what's this country coming to when you aren't even allowed to brush up flaming leaves !!!
well, that's my rant for now  >:(

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: leaf police
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:57:16 »
My heartbeat has settled at last!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 16:18:41 »
Sweep them this way, plenty of room at the Inn, leaves only, no couples on a donkey.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 22:10:48 »
We have similar problems at work. Not allowed to change light bulb cos' thats wot contractors are paid for, likewise with some cleaning. No one complains at not being allowed to do that though.... ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 22:39:50 »
I'd have given that person a two-word answer, and carried on.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 09:26:00 »
I'd have given that person a two-word answer, and carried on.

;D @ Robert.....now, given your Church work, that would be "bless you" wouldn't it? ;)

We have loads of leaves at the front, as we live opposite a wood. Thuggish neighbour next door (delete the "ish"...he IS a thug) used to sweep his leaves straight into the gutter - which then blocked the drains & caused flooding >:(....then he must have thought that it would be more fun to sweep them onto my garden frontage......thereby saving me the bother of scouting about to get them 8) Think I might send him a Thank You Christmas card.... 8) ;D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 10:47:54 »
surely we're doing the council a favour by sweeping the leaves up. all around the uk we end up having floods in the winter because leaves gets washed with the rain into drains and block them.

I was talking about this the other day....i was on the bus and i saw 3-4 council people brushing leaves onto the verge. they weren't even sweeping them into bags or anything! just sweeping them to the side!

now it's great that people have now got a job because of this....but surely it's a waste of time and money to employ people to do such a needless task.

Surely all they need to do is go to the worst effected areas so people can't slip on it....and then leave the rest.

madness!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 20:27:49 »
;D @ Robert.....now, given your Church work, that would be "bless you" wouldn't it? ;)

The first word would probably have beguin with 'B', but I don't think it would have been 'bless'. We're not the sort of church where everyone uses polite churchspeak!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 10:40:31 »
The 'village custodian' here (man who gets up early to go round and pick up all the litter) has been busily collecting leaves for a couple of weeks now. He's carefully separated a pile of leaves he thinks will be OK for adding to gardener's compost heaps/making leafmould (ie not the ones from busy roads) and we can help ourselves, or have them delivered, as it's cheaper not to transport them to the main council compost heap.

Sounds like our parish council is doing a pretty good job compared to some.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 20:50:07 »
What a lovely man - would there were many more like him in the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal