Author Topic: My first post! Which plot would you choose?  (Read 6058 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
My first post! Which plot would you choose?
« on: December 04, 2006, 14:30:33 »
I'm a complete beginner to allotment gardening and have only registered here today, so be gentle with me! I have lots and lots of questions to ask you all.

I've just been to view available plots at my local allotments and have three choices;

No. 14 is a huge corner plot (looks about 120ft by 40ft to me, but I'm not great at guessing distances) with a ramshackle greenhouse and shed at the end which has been untended for a few years. It is moderately weedy. It backs on to a row of very large trees, and a fence and hedge, and so will rather shady throughout the mornings

No. 44 is a bit smaller, maybe 20ft by 80ft, and hasn't been tended for 7 years. It isn't overlooked by anything so will receive full sunlight. No outbuildings. The downside is that it is unbeleivably badly kept - the brambles were shoulder height and there's a dead tree at the front, and it is littered with plastic and pallets. It seems ideal in size and location but I's very daunted at the sheer amount of work needed just to clear it

No.94 is a half plot in a similar location and state. It contains the remains of an asbestos containing shed.

The allotments have apparently had some financial difficulties over the past two years as they've broken away from the council and become self run. This means that there are no skips this year to dispose of waste (unless I pay of course). I can, however, have the plot free until January 2008

To give you an idea of my plans, I'd like to grow some staple fruits and vegetables, nothing exotic (maybe next year when I'm less of a dunce  ;)) and compost some of my household waste. I'd also like to grow some bedding plants for use in my tiny garden at home.

Which plot would you take? Where do I start?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: My first post! Which plot would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 14:36:02 »
hi, and welcome to a4a
for us, we'd go for no 1, greenhouse and shed, can be used, with a bit of tlc, if it gets sun all afternoon, should get the amount you need, moderately weedy sound workable, no doubt others will have their ideas, anyway, good luck, lots of lovely people here and seed swaps

have fun  :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 14:41:33 »
First of all, welcome, but I will leave the more cheerful welcoming parties to give you a proper reception.

Having a choice of 3 plots is wonderful, the final choice is perhaps what do you want from your plot. I can only voice my own interests.

The first plot you presented would suit my needs, as it has enough space to grow copious amounts of veg (and fruit). The shady area will not be a problem with a bit of careful planning, not everything wants full sun. The trees will also provide plenty of leaf mulch I guess. The other reason for choosing the first plot is that it is presented as being the most immediately workable, so if this agrees with your thoughts, then go for it! Listen to all the points of view though ...

Good luck  :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 14:48:13 »
I'd go for No.44 - less of a size and less daunting to start off? Having said that, I went for the equivalent of Plot 14 when I 1st started ... only recommended if you have A LOT OF TIME on your hands!

Sheds and greenhouses are a plus IF you can restore them/construct etc. But you can just as easily buy a shed/greenhouse to put on a smaller plot.

7 yrs of non-cultivation will mean that the soil is in good condition. But obviously you need to find it first!

Brambles aren't as daunting as they look and as for the other weeds etc - pick out an area for your compost heap and set about chopping it all back and chucking it all on!

Dig out dandelions as deep as you can but don't put them on the compost - put them to one side and burn them.

For a quick fix you could get a petrol strimmer and get everything back to ground level and then winter dig: Turn over the soil in big chunks so that all the weed roots are upwards and can be killed by frost. This would obviously be more manageable on the smaller plot and you could be ready to plant next spring!

It's still quite (unusually) warm so you have a few weeks to get digging before the frost sets in.

But I suggest you get a shed first and a heater so you can sit in the shed and make BIG plans  ;D

Congratulations on your allotment  ;D Welcome to our world  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 14:48:43 »
I'd also go for the first one.

I had a choice of three plots this year, and chose the most neglected, but it had a shed and greenhouse frame, great aspect, and I like a challenge! When you get hooked, you will need more space than you think now, so if you have the chance for a big plot, take it, you can always cover most to keep the weeds down and work on it bit by bit.

If you are daunted by a very overgrown plot now, there is a risk you may never get on top of it and give up, so going for one that is weedy but doesn't require so much clearance might be a good idea.

Lastly, you make your mind up for yourself, remember you might end up spending a lot more time there than you think.....! ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 14:52:44 »
I agree with the others but if 94 really has asbestos on it do not choose it.
My plot is 45 ft x 68 and I wouldn't go any bigger without a lot of helpers. Whichever one you choose don't try and do it all at once. Oh and get yourself a mattock!

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 14:57:14 »
Thank you all. I think I may be addicted...

It is interesting that you mostly suggest plot 14. The man who showed me round suggested 44 would be better because of the sunlight issue, so I had discounted 14 as being unsuitable.

Ideally, I would like to grow the more common staple vegetables and fruit - carrots, peas, caulis, sprouts and broccoli, taters, that sort of thing. Herbs also - I cook a lot! I would also like fruit, space permitting, for jams ad that sort of thing. I guess that might make plot 14 more favourable if the sunlight isn't such an issue. What can't I grow in partial shade?

Some of the trees on the bottom part of the plot are dead and due to come down once the council get round to it, which would improve the situation in time.

Hmmmmmm. It's all very daunting, isn't it?

Oh, and what on earth is a mattock   ??? ::)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 15:20:53 »
Hi Laura,  :D
                    welcome to A4A,  8)  looking at your list of  goodies to grow i would suggest that the larger plot would be more suitable, I think the smaller plots will restrict you when it comes to planting fruit bushes & growing veg. The one thing that many new allotmenteers fail to realise is the amount of time the plot needs on a weekly basis. No doubt many contributors here have different ideas of the time needed, but I would suggest that for the larger plot you will need to spend at least 3 hours a week (once you have it under control). During the main growing season it may be up to 6 hours a week & less in the winter. Do you have the time to spare ???
  As for the mattock it is a digging tool, for more info use the search box at the top of the home page.
                                Adrian.

Spyros

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 15:41:12 »

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 16:02:27 »
hi Laura and welcome!

I've had my plot for about 6 weeks now although there wasn't a choice of plots I did get one of the largest plots on the site: about 90' long by 40' at one end curving out to about 65' at the other. it's taken me a few weekends to chop done all the nettles and other weeds, and I've had some much appreciated help from a neighbour, who very kindly dismantled the old chicken shed and had a huge bonfire for me mid week. although all the space is a bit daunting to begin with, it soon fills up! I've been planning everything on paper and spent a happy afternoon yesterday with lots of balls of string and bamboo canes translating it all into reality, and it's amazing how quickly the space is eaten up by beds!!

my advice would be to go for the biggest plot you can even though it's your first: no. 14, as others have suggested. the shed and greenhouse might be able to be tidied up and it's always worth reminding the council about the possibility of a bit of tree surgery. no. 44 sounds like an awful lot of hard work even though it gets full sun. but I'd definitely steer clear of plot no. 94 if it's had asbestos on it. (apparently the council cleared all the old asbestos sheds on our site and replaced them with new tin ones – I would have thought that the council would be responsible for organising its safe removal, there must be strict rules and regs about dealing with asbestos contamination and its disposal.)

if you take on the biggest plot the size may be daunting at first but break it down into manageable chunks and cover what you're not working on to stop the weeds taking over. you're more likely to run out of room than things to grow. and if you've only got a tiny garden at home you can always save a sunny corner for your deckchair, essential for sitting back and admiring all your hard work!!!  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 19:38:17 »
I have had 3 rundown plots over the past 4 yrs. Definatly take the larger plot. You have the trees for shade and also protection from some elements and possibly a deterrent from vandals, as well as mulch previously mentioned.  The shed is a bonus - you can always extend on it. We have a decking on 2 sides of ours. The greenhouse is a plus. You may decide you want more than one greenhouse later. The larger plot also allows you to grow all fruit without the worry of tree roots absorbing all goodness from the soil against the vegetables by having oppertunity to give  good distance between them.

If the plot is as large as you say - you may want to build a chicken-cree for some hens and eggs?

Once you chop down the thick waste - possibly have a bonfire and  when it dries it wont seem so bad. My current one, I have rent free till next year. It took me over 100hrs to clear it. But worth it. If you decide it is too big you can always offer up half or some of the plot. This is not uncommon for people to share. If you go for the smaller one you will most definatly regret it in a year or two when you are more settled with and have wider knowledge and imagination of allotment gardening.

Go for the big one... you know you want to. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 20:25:21 »
Hi Laura, Hi all,

I have two plots that had previously been neglected, especially the first one.

I would say take the largest of the plots available then raid the others for anything that might come in handy later, eg pallets or long lengths of wood or metal, rocks and slabs, barrels etc. Then dump all your hard-to-remove rubbish onto them. See if they have any planting that might yield some cuttings at this time of year such as rhubarb or raspberries.
Fix the shed to shelter you and the greenhouse to shelter plants early next year.

If you clear planting holes you can get trees and fruit bushes in asap.

Then get a petrol strimmer and cut everything you don`t want down to the ground,
Then start digging.
You`ll be off to a good start in time for next spring.

Theres a thread somewhere about asbestos, your local authority is required by law to audit the problem, but we have this type of shed and pieces from one mark the side of my first plot - they are considered safe. (but I wouldn`t let my strimmer touch it)

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 20:28:47 »
Hi Laura... the trees etc on 14 might actually be useful as a windbreak... you say they will give shade in the morning which suggests N and E aspect which is where you would want it in Winter.
 :)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 21:39:10 »
Right then, plot 14 it is!

It makes sense in lots of ways - especially because of the space, and you're all right to point out that it would be sheltered. It was very windy there today but that plot wasn't. I could also part clear it, as suggested, and plant the things that should go in now, and clear the rest later.

The chickens are a good idea but I'm not sure if that is allowed. I would have to look into it.

It's reassuring to hear that you estimate I'd only need to spend a few hours a week keeping it all going once I'm up and running. I'd budgeted about 8-10 hours a week so that seems realistic.

I can't wait to get started now  ;D. Time to look up the prices for hiring petrol strimmers and buy a water butt/compost bins!

I will take some before pictures tomorrow too, and will no doubt be back to annoy you all some more :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 22:02:53 »
LauraB

Welcome to a4all, yes 14 go for it.

But before you buy ANYTHING clear the plot you might have some other treasures!

BTW

Where in the world are you?

Cambourne7

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 08:51:43 »
I'm in the West Midlands  :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 08:56:36 »
contact your local council they may well have a scheme whereby you can purchase compost bin and water butt from them at a fraction of the price you will pay in the shops. many councils do this now.  ;)

Rain

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 10:20:18 »

I would say take the largest of the plots available then raid the others for anything that might come in handy later, eg pallets or long lengths of wood or metal, rocks and slabs, barrels etc. Then dump all your hard-to-remove rubbish onto them.

I don't think you'd be very popular with this. I'm pretty sure our allotment site would have stern words if I dumped rubbish on unused plots.
  Best of luck Laura, I think I'd probably go for no. 14 also, sounds a lot more accessible more quickly.  :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 10:37:15 »
Hi LauraB & welcome to the site! I tried to reply yesterday but my laptop was having a funny five mins! Anyway, i was going to suggest taking the first of the plots you described for various reasons, all of which have been covered already. I'm just about to take on my first ever allotment as of 1 January and can't wait to get started!! Don't forget to take some 'before and after' pics of each stage as you go along so we can all have a nosey at your progress! Good luck and most of all enjoy! kitten x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 11:17:47 »
Hi

Might also be worth ( once you have strimmed and rotivated ) to get a couple of ton of morse manure on it over winter.

There is plenty of horses around that area.

I know of a place near west brom which has about 20 horses.

Cambourne7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal