Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 4222 times)

pixieface

New to the Forum
« on: December 03, 2006, 18:29:32 »
 ;D Thought I should introduce ourselves.

We are a pensioner couple, took over an allotment last year about this time. It was in a terrible state. We managed to get it ploughed and rotovated and allowed it to stand fallow until march, we did dig a small piece in which we out our fruit trees, garlic and some onions. We made deep beds using old wood and paths were made using chipped wood which the council dump for us each year.

Work has gone on through the year. We have had potatoes, onions garlic, beans,strawberries, gooseberries,rhubarb, blackcurrants,lettuce tomato's beetroot,cabbageand leeks. One bed was covered with black plastic to kill the weeds, it has now been dug ready to plant next year.

We put a shed on and made a leisure area round the shed which we have used a lot, and have made quite a few new friends from the other allotment holders.

We are looking forward to next years growing season and trying out new crops including drying beans.

we grow what we can and what we need.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 18:40:43 »
Hello! Very many welcomes and Season's Greetings :)

My, you seem to have done an awful lot......and I specially like the sound of the 'leisure area' lol

We've quite a few folks here in the midlands.....where are you living? Shirltone and Bunji her daughter are N.Birmingham/Sutton & are keeping us enthralled by their progress with lotties...yet more lotties.....and SHEDS!!....

pix....we like pix.....do you have any of your progress?

We've got a really active Seed Swap here, so anything you've loads of, of anything you read about & would like to try......give a shout, eh?

Cheers, Lishka

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 19:10:00 »
welcome to the site, lots of lovely people on here, good ideas, and, as lishka says, brill seed swaps   :D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 20:38:41 »
hello, I've had my plot for a similar amount of time - sounds like you have made really good progress.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 20:42:36 »
Hi & welcome to the site! I'm new to this gardening lark and have already learnt loads from the brilliant peeps on this site. You seem to have worked v hard for your first year, if you have some before and after piccies we'd love to see them! So glad you made room for a leisure area (putting it in my note book under 'must do's' as we speak) - just remember to use it plenty! Good luck & look forward to seeing your progress over the next year!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 20:51:31 »
A pensioner couple you may be, but retired you may not be. The lottie will keep you busy working. Welcome to the "natural gymnasium". Keep you fit no end I'm sure. Enjoy.  :)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 21:05:52 »
"natural gymnasium"

I like that ... so true.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

pixieface

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 21:32:26 »
I do have some photos of the allotment from when we started to now, but will have to sort them out, some are on OH's page, I will try and put them in an album and then publish them

We have a small garden at the house, we grow some soft fruit, rasps, rhubarb and strawberries, we also grew lettuce and tomatos in containers and we have a couple of herb wheels as well.

Thanks for the welcome...............we live on the outskirts of Leicester.......our allotment is near the space centre.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 21:34:13 by pixieface »
we grow what we can and what we need.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 22:34:29 »
Big welcome to A4A. Haven't you done well :) As Lish has said we do love pics (cos we are nosy!! only kidding) Hope you have fun on this great site.
Lorna

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 22:45:59 »
Welcome to A4A, such a great place to be.Hope you are enjoying your lottie sounds like you are.  Cheers Rosebud.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 16:19:16 »
;D  A big North London welcome to Mr and Mrs pixie, you pixies have been busy but don't forget lots of friendly helpful lotties on this site so if you got any question don't be afraid to ask good luck and happy digging. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 17:35:23 »
Hi Mr & Mrs Pixie! Welcome to A4A!

I'm just up the road from you in Nottingham!

Trixie XX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 17:49:09 »
to the Pixies

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 18:13:11 »
I've gotta to add to this coz it's spoiling my fun (see post below) hope you don't mind Pixie ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 16:39:23 »
Welcome to A4A Pixie... we are up the road in Derby..
 ;D

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 20:56:19 »
Hellow to you all i am allso new to the forum and for my sins i am the secretary of west law allotments dundee for the last8 years.most of our members are retired the oldest couple being well in to there eighties they dont have put some of us to shame when they are getting there plot ready for the new season. Have managed to recruit some youger ones in the past two years and there getting on great.
Just managed to let out all our plots for the past tree years as some of them had been empty for a long time it was a lot of work but it has paid off so i can take it a little bit easier .
Both the wife and i have a plot each needless to say she is the better gardener than i am but i put it down to the amount of work i have been doing for the association well thats my excuse.Well done to both the old and the new who are keeping the allotment tradition going.Wishing you well and happy diging A4A Pixie    From                Viking

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 21:25:08 »
Welcome to moonbeam -- and my (woolly  ;D ) hat's off to you for being brave enough to be an allotment secretary!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 22:42:56 »
Hellow to you all i am allso new to the forum and for my sins i am the secretary of west law allotments dundee for the last8 years.

Whats kept you from here with you being secretary. Lead from the front my good man. I would recommend a poster made up in your allotment shop advertising this site will help keep all your plots full even though you seem to have done well enough this past 3 years. I advertise it in our shop and have done for the past 2 months. Many of our plot holders have used it since
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 23:00:19 »
Welcome Moonbeam to this great site. Hope you enjoy it here.
Lorna

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 05:27:46 »
Welcome pixies and moonbeams, I hope you enjoy company and capers here :)
Look forward to posts and pictures! Lish is soo right, we love pix! Pleeeease! ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal