Author Topic: Wall paper from hell!  (Read 2272 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Wall paper from hell!
« on: December 21, 2006, 15:27:37 »
Sorry for those that have it and love it, but I HATE WOODCHIP!  We are reorganising the kitchen at the moment to fit the new range cooker in and of course, as we removed the old hood and cupboard to make the room we revealed a few stumbling blocks.  Some BIG holes that had never been filled where old sockets and things had been removed ....no wonder the kitchen is drafty, and a huge patch of years old, baked on, well painted, woodchip.  It had to go as that part of the wall will be exposed now with the new hood.  Been scraping and wetting down and scraping and wetting down all day, but finally it is all gone and I have filled the holes.  Tonite we remove a section of wall tiles to be replaced with a rather smart stainless steel splashback, then I shall hang fresh wallpaper tomorrow whilst the old boy is at work, and who knows....maybe tomorrow night the new hood will go up and we can start moving and cutting around the worksurface for the cooker to slide in.  I am very excited about this.   ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Wall paper from hell!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 15:32:47 »
I am soooo with you on that one EJ.  Cleared the last off the back bedroom walls last fortnight, but still picking up little bits of the chip bits everywhere in the house, in socks, in the bathroom, even in the wallpaper paste used to put liner paper in its place.

Still plenty on the ceilings, but I'm not that datf, I know what lies above that and it involves builders and plasterers & I'm not ready for that.

Can't belive the EU hasn't been useful and banned it.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 15:40:46 »
It is nasty >:( stuff the woodchip, orrid to look at and orrid to get off the wall, got the last of ours off last year it took the steamer to get it off in the end. :) :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 16:01:02 »
There was woodchip everywhere here when we moved in.   :'( :o Plus all the carpets had been laid on top of linoleum which had been glued down on the previous linoleum which had been glued down on old newspapers on top of the previous linoleum. All of which, after weeks of scrubbing and degging and scrubbing revealed beautiful oak floors.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 17:22:40 »
We tried woodchip wallpaper............but it kept falling off the screen!

Taxi!
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 00:14:52 »
Got woodchip in one room. Previous owners must have superglued it to the wall and painted it 20 times with super strong glossy emulsion. After getting about a square foot off, complete with chunks of plaster still sticking to it, I gave up and stuck it back on and painted over it. Just hope the new owners don't blame me  :-[

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:44 »
Reminds me of our kitchen when we decided to decorate ... six layers of paper I recall, each gloss painted ... we tackled a couple of square feet a day ...

Jennym, have you tried a steam stripper, never used one myself, but professional advice suggests they are excellent for 'stubborn' materials. Mind you, I would probably have just replastered ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 09:55:24 »
I've stripped a couple of houses with steam; it works well as long as the paper hasn't been painted over. Then it's a nightmare as the steam can't penetrate. It's far faster than doing it the old way, painting stripper on.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 10:02:22 »
Then it's a nightmare as the steam can't penetrate.

I thought the principle was that the steam provided the heat to melt the adhesive, rather than dissolve it, although scoring should assist ... ?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 10:59:56 »
Scoring's the answer especially if it has been painted over, however the trick is to score the paper but leave the wall intact, which takes a bit of practice as i recall. ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 13:10:48 »
Got woodchip in one room. Previous owners must have superglued it to the wall and painted it 20 times with super strong glossy emulsion. After getting about a square foot off, complete with chunks of plaster still sticking to it, I gave up and stuck it back on and painted over it. Just hope the new owners don't blame me  :-[

I did far worse that you jenny in one house....like you, got off some of the glossed-over woodchip & gave up. Couldn't stick it back cos it was in bits, so.......

I stippled over the patch with....

Artex !

;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 14:48:09 »
You don't have to tell me about woodchip.

Hell is in Norway (near Trondheim) and I have been there with my mother!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 16:07:05 »
Quite agree about steamers. I always use one BUT as the toilet had gloss paint over the paper thought I would score so that steam could penetrate, result I marked the walls!! I now intend papering and then emulsion.  The steam certainly will not penetrate unless you do score. Fortunately it would appear that I will spend the rest of my life in this bungalow so no more problems as all rooms have been decorated by my own fair hands. Girls I must be a DIY genius :D :D :D
Lorna

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 16:49:04 »
Girls I must be a DIY genius :D :D :D
Lorna

Not going to argue with that, Lorna....

Not brave enough :-[

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 22:04:25 »
Lish ;D ;D and I wash my brushes out thoroughly :D Sorry Emma... off topic ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 22:09:56 »
Not off topic at all Lorna. ;D  You brush washer you!  ;)

Tonight, all holes nicely filled, trimmings trimmed, wires re-routed and all surfaces cleaned and ready for the big push tomorrow! 

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 22:18:28 »
Emma is sounds really exciting, I would love a range cooker so am quite envious.  I hope you enjoy a nice meal from it tomorrow night - have you got something special planned to celebrate? :)

Previous people in this house plastered over the wood chip rather than try to get it off!  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal