Author Topic: wood shavings 4 compost...  (Read 1540 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
wood shavings 4 compost...
« on: December 02, 2006, 17:43:28 »
Today I put tons of used wood shavings into my compost bin - only then to be told I should of dried & burned them as they take more out of the ground than what they put in. Another person they will compost but only after 1 year! Is there any truth in either of these?   ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: wood shavings 4 compost...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 17:57:35 »
They will 'borrow' nitrogen from the soil in order to break down, the nitrogen is returned when the process is complete. Simple wood shavings or sawdust seem to rot very slowly, this is increased tremendously by mixing the material in with other organic matter. Therefore, adding it to compost is not a bad thing in itself, if you allow the compost time to rot completely before using it (12 months is probably right).

I am only passing on what I have seen myself and read, there are other experts here who will be able to explain it far more technically.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 18:01:34 »
If you soak them in pee they'll rot a lot faster, as that will supply the nitrogen they need.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 18:02:43 »
you'll need a lot of pee for tons of them, all your mates at the allotment will have to help out !!   :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 18:21:45 »
If it really is tons, leave it in a corner for a couple of years. It will rot, slowly. You could add nitrogenous fertiliser, grass cuttings, or anything else that adds nitrogen.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 10:33:28 »
 :D Agree with above, mix in with compost but not too much, sprinkle on soil sparingly but mix with manure also use it on your paths and the rest as Robert says bung it in a corner cover it and let it rot shavings should break down  6  12 months.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal