Author Topic: greenhouse advice  (Read 9512 times)

rdm51

• Half Acre
greenhouse advice
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:36:33 »
Hi Folks
 Need advice about a polycarbonate greenhouse, during last night i had three panels blow out in 80 mph winds [thankfully no damage].
 The panels are held in be W clips, i was wondering if i could use a flexable sealent around the panels to give me extra security in high winds. or would this make the panels to rigid.
 I have 150 exhibition fuchsias in green leaf in greenhouse and don't fancy losing them, so any advice would be welcome.
 Bob
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:51:54 by rdm51 »

rdm51

• Half Acre
Re: greenhouse advice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:51:27 »
Cheers Jim.
 I don't intend moving Greenhouse so that wont be a problem. i guessed it would be ok but just wanted to check.
 As i don't fancy a repeat of this morning, running around at 5.30am trying to fit panels back into frame in high winds.
 The neighbours already think I'm a nutcase. but this morning would have put the cap on it with me roaming around the back garden with a touch, hunting for W clips
with a few choice words coming out every now and again.
 thankfully the wind has dropped to 40 mph and everything is back to as it was.
 Thanks for reply and will get it done once the wind drops.
 Bob

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 19:23:24 »
I collected my greenhouse for free - condition being I dismantled. It had been done with putty! I persevered and only broke 4 panes of glass. I've used clear silicone on my re-assmebly of the greenhouse, and then used the W clips as well. Its stayed in place through all these high winds - all except the one pane I forgot to silicone on the door.... :-\

Another tip - for securing the greenhouse to the ground.      At the base of each corner there are some small holes. Dig around each corner and about 12-18inches deep. Thread some thick metal wire such as a metal coat hanger through and allow them as deep as you can. Fill these corners with postmix with the metal wire in the middle of it all. When it sets and the winds blow the 'boulders' will hold the greenhouse to the ground.  ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 21:38:56 »
Thanks klawson
 The Problem i had was polycarbonate panels are a lot lighter than glass and do tend to rattle about a bit in the wind i had used a lot my W clips then was sent with the greenhouse [for a 8x6 greenhouse 120 clips suppled] i bought an extra 50 which i have used as well.
 The polycarbonate greenhouse also comes with a rubberized seal that you place in the grooves before fitting panels, then secure the panels with W clips.
 I was advised that the panels do expand slightly in the heat, thats why they is a bit of play in the panels, that was the reason for my question would a flexable silicone effect this.
 My Base is bolted onto 4x2 timbers which is also weighted down by 1/2 tonne of gravel chippings so if that moves I'm taking up knitting.
 Bob

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 19:27:51 »
Hi Jim.
 Thats me done the greenhouse with clear silicone, now just keep fingers crossed that it all holds together, expecting high winds again on Thursday.
Bob

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 22:58:06 »
On the subject of strong wind, I have a 10 x 12 glass greenhouse with auto-vents.When you have auto-vents they can be forced open by the wind, this is usefull as it releases the pressure inside the house and can avoid glass being blown out. Unfortunately though it is also possible for the vents to completely flip over and smash, I had this a few years ago and so now at the start of the winter I put a lenght of string to each vent long enough to allow a good opening put short enough to stop it flipping over. I did try tying them shut but you lose more glass that way and it is good on sunny days to let them open and change the air.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 23:47:34 »
hi Laurie.
 Thanks for tip, i normally leave the door cracked open to release the pressure,
the entrance to the door is covered with green windbreak so no uninvited quests take refuge. thats one of the problems with polycarbonate greenhouses mine only came with one vent and that is so flimsy a good gust of wind and i would be chasing it half way around Scotland to get it back.
 Quarter of the greenhouse is sectioned off with bubble plastic, thats where i keep my over wintering fuchsias, with the fan heater set at just above 5, so everything is cocooned  inside the bubble plastic. during the day i open that up so i don't get any stale air and everything is ticking over just the way i want.
 The panels that blew out by luck happened to be on the other side of my little bubble house so no damage to the fuchsias.
 I'm beginning to see why i was told that growing exhibition fuchsias is a full time job, never had to worry about the winter when growing roses or gladiolus for shows, but i have to admit I'm loving every minute of it and can't wait for the show season to start up again.
 Bob

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:58:06 »
I must have been lucky Bob.  I got back from London monday night to find both greenhouses perfectly intact  ;D 

the cold frame took a beating though and lost one of the lids which i can repair when i can see the garden in the daylight and find the 4th aluminium frame bit.   ::)

last thursday was a different story though and one of the front panels had blown out of the plastic g/h.  half hour in the rain trying to fix it, ended up putting two strategically placed heavy pots to hold it in place until friday morning when i could see.

don't you just love living up here ?  i know i do.   ;D

you on hollibobs again mate ?  not seen you this week.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 10:53:21 »
Just noticed broken green house. Glass has been broken in the high winds due to my kids chair being blown across the garden into one of the panes. >:(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 18:22:06 »
Hi Joanne.
 Yep 2 weeks holidays back on Monday, looks like you came back up at the right time as i see that London was hit by a mini tornado,and the strong winds are down there now.
 See you Monday
 Bob

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 21:41:15 »
aye, saw that too mate.  am keeping an eye out of the window at the bird feeder barometer but all is calm at the moment.

you know the big brummie lad ?  he's driving us nuts !  lol  enjoy the remainder of your week love.

bad luck ktlawson.  that was one of the reasons i was trying to find my lost aluminium strut !  didn't want it piercing anything mid flight ! 

:-[

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 11:20:09 »
Just noticed broken green house. Glass has been broken in the high winds due to my kids chair being blown across the garden into one of the panes. >:(

My garden is in a hollow between two rises, quite a few trees around so we are fairly well protected against wind. It was roaring through the trees though. The disadvantage is that when we get prolonged heavy rain we get flooded, I have known the greenhouse to have 4" of water in it, wish I had built it higher off the ground.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal