Author Topic: Experimental Planting  (Read 3641 times)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Experimental Planting
« on: December 01, 2006, 16:49:03 »
Does anyone go for at least one experimental plant each year? I mean something fairly different, not just a new variety.

If so what are you going for next year? Or would that spoil the surprise when we see the photos next year...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Experimental Planting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 18:44:04 »
I certainly do... but haven't decided yet... possibly Blue corn.
This years was the fabled Paracress!

You can eat it... like chewing that stuff dentists use to freeze your mouth!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 18:56:16 »
My current experiment is seed of several species of Trillium, and I'll be getting more of the more 'difficult' seeds shortly. As for veg, I'll be trying chillies and aubergines again, but I haven't decided on anything else.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 21:20:34 »
we went for banana flavoured passionfruit and a very tiny cucumber like plant called melothrie

three cucs, too many, they clamber all over everything

lovely plants, no flowers or fruit yet on the passionfruit, looking forward to seeing them this growing season   :D

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 20:43:57 »
I'm going to try some soya beans, also my apricot tree and boysenberry will arrive early next year.
I ordered a couple of rootstocks to propagate fruit trees. Never done this one before.

Last year we planted a cherry tree and had 3 little tiny cherries this summer, I also planted grape, but no fruit so far. The plants grow like mad anyway, so I'm just happy that they didn't die.

Oh, and I had chili last year and never again!
I didn't really know what to do with them and nobody liked them, too hot! They also somehow pollinated sweet pepper and it was a waste.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 20:51:57 by natasha »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 21:22:57 »
You could have sent them to us, we get through masses.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 22:39:40 »
Am hoping to receive two quince trees next week, have never grown these and am looking forward to them. Someone kindly gave me a small bag of quinces to make jelly with, and that was it, I was hooked!
Last year I tried the coloured carrots, Purple Dragon and Yellowstone I think they were called. The yellow did better than the purple, but to be honest I wasn't too impressed with the taste, but then it could be all in the mind - the colours did put me off a bit  :-\
This year I grew a different variety of Cape gooseberry called Physalis pruinosa 'Pineapple' which grew well, the plants were a lot shorter and more sprawling than Physalis edulis, and there were lots of fruits which ripened in a shorter time. I did find that the fruits were a lot smaller though, and dropped much more easily when ripe.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:08:19 »
They also somehow pollinated sweet pepper and it was a waste.

It is not possible for one plant to change the characteristics of another by pollinating it's flowers. Any plants produced from the seeds would be a hybrid of the two but pollinating a sweet pepper with a chili pepper will not make the sweet pepper fruit hot

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 09:27:03 »
:D One of the Italian chaps on site took a cutting off his fig tree and planted it up the shed end of my plot, just a nice suprise one day when I walked in and he'd planted it for me. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 12:16:46 »
It is not possible for one plant to change the characteristics of another by pollinating it's flowers. Any plants produced from the seeds would be a hybrid of the two but pollinating a sweet pepper with a chili pepper will not make the sweet pepper fruit hot

It is difficult for me to argue with that because I don't know much about the subject, I only know that I had 10 chili and 10 sweet - but they were all hot at the end.
I searched the web about planting chili and sweet peppers together and this is something I came across:
"If you plant sweet and hot peppers too close together, your bell peppers may end up being hotter than you want and your hot peppers may be more like lukewarm peppers. "
from http://www.cosmicchile.com/xdpy/kb/growing-chile-peppers.html

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 12:47:58 »
This year I grew watercress in a pot stood in a saucer of water and it was very successful.  Next year I'm trying the pineapple cape gooseberry mentioned earlier by Jenny.  I usually grow peruviana but they are thugs, even in pots!

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 13:56:59 »
I grew black peppers this year - they didn't turn black but they were very tasty!

Also grew blue carrots (the only ones that grew by the way 8) )

I've done a (rather large  ::) ) seed order from Marshalls for next year with unusual stuff I've never grown before: Sea Kale, funny looking cucumbers etc.

I like to make my Father-in-law guess what they are! He hates being wrong about anything. It whiles away many hours in the shed .. him saying:

"It's a pear"
"No it's not"
"It is ... it's a pear"
"No it's not"
"It's a variety of pear"
"No it's not. It's a medlar"
"Which is a pear"
"No it's not"

Etc etc etc etc  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 13:58:27 »
Georgie! I tried to grow watercress a couple of years ago and failed  :( How deep was the pot you planted them in??
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 14:24:54 »
 ;D ;D ;D (Even kids grow watercress at school in cottonwool)  ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 14:36:29 »
They also somehow pollinated sweet pepper and it was a waste.

Might it not affect the heat in the crossbred seed? ???
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 15:24:53 »
Georgie! I tried to grow watercress a couple of years ago and failed  :( How deep was the pot you planted them in??

About 12" and I stood it in a 2" saucer of water.  I got the seed from T&M.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 15:32:07 »
we went for banana flavoured passionfruit.....

Wonder if that is like the melonpear??

"She" did the different coloured carrots too, I agree the colour was not right!!! Although they were not always orange were they?

We are in process of or tried this year, chillis, cherry tree,apple tree, and non edible things like bamboo and chilean wine palm which is doing well.

Last year we cut the 2 yr old walking stick kale, quite a conversation starter! Look amazing in full bloom and 7ft high!

Nice to get the experienced older gardeners walking past many times wondering what it is, especially the ones we hardly see cos of different times of visiting.... :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 21:21:37 »
Trying passionfruit here, not bothering with physalis or tomatillo, both gave pathetic yields in reality. My asparagus have been in the ground for almost a year now, from one year old plants - hope to get a first albeit small crop next year. Trying many different types of beans, for shelling.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 22:06:53 »
Tried Asparagus peas last year - like eating grass!  :-X

Tried walking stick kale also Andy - amazing monsters which even the pigeons were to afraid to eat!

Cauliflowers are my experiment because in all my years of growing things, I have never successfully grown a decent cauli!

Fruit wise, Asian pear - delicious!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:36 »

next year I'm doing the hdra experiment on chick peas :)/shades x
grow your own way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal