Author Topic: Taking on the mighty .....  (Read 1435 times)

Yellow Petals

Taking on the mighty .....
« on: December 01, 2006, 16:48:11 »
I went to the doctor's yesterday and whilst there I wanted to make a doctor's appointment for my son.  Bearing in mind that trying to get an appointment at our local surgery these days is like trying to have a private chat with the Pope.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Me:  I'd like to make an appointment for next week for my son whilst I'm here please.
Rec'ist:  (quick tap of the keyboard a la Little Britain ... computer says no ...) We don't have any appointments for next week.
Me:  None at all?
Rec'ist:  No but you can ring in on the day at 8am.
Me:  He can't really do that though as he has to leave for work at 7am.  Is there another doctor he can see please?
Rec'ist:  No.  He'll have to see his own doctor
Me:  But you just told me that he can't
Rec'ist:  Patients aren't allowed to see other doctors when their own doctors are available
Me:  But you just said you couldn't fit him in with his own doctor all of next week
Rec'ist:  Yes, but if he could ring in at 8 ....
Me: (I cut her off mid sentence) but I explained that he can't ring in at that time, it's not possible for him.  So what other options does he have?
Rec'ist:  Can someone else ring for him?  Can't you do it for him? (I was a little annoyed at this!)
Me:  No I can't.  I too have to be up and out for work before that time on most days
Rec'ist:  Well the only appointments with his doctor next week are the emergency 24hr or 48hr appointments we keep.
Me:  So how is he going to see his doctor then?
Rec'ist:  There are appointments the week after next.
Me:  No, I'm sorry but that's not really acceptable is it?  I'd like to make him an appointment with another doctor then please
Rec'ist:  No, as I explained, that's not our procedure here, he must see his own doctor.

By this time, I was beginning to get just a wee bit agitated.

Me:  So you won't allow him to see another doctor even though he can't see his own doctor?  (Quite loudly to an already interested waiting room I said... ) I'm not seeing my own doctor today, I'm seeing someone else so why can't he do the same one day next week?

More of the above until she finally banged about on her keyboard and voila, suddenly found him an appointment for today at 1.10pm!

Why should I have to almost have a stand up row with a snotty nosed woman behind a desk before I can get an appointment at my own doctors surgery?  It's darn well ridiculous.

Still, I came away smiling because I took on a doctor's receptionist AND WON!!!!   

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Taking on the mighty .....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 17:26:48 »
Know what you mean - but they are paid to protect their Gods, rather than to accommodate you!

Have you filled in the survey form that they are now issuing? There's your chance!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 17:32:23 »
Tim,

I do understand that it must be difficult with the volume of 'traffic' they have to deal with but I believe I raised a couple of valid points with this woman.  My son couldn't see his own doctor so I asked if he could see another.  I also pointed out to her that we've been registered there for almost two years and between us have only visited three times - we're not exactly time wasters trying to use up their appointments.  I just thought she was being just a tad unreasonable given that he couldn't ring when she asked him too. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 17:34:11 by Yellow Petals »

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 19:06:28 »
Having been both a GP's receptionist and a consulant psych's pa, I'm very interested in this apparent current trend for not being able to get to see one's gp.  Yes, I used to screen patients for priority but only on the basis of what the problem was.  They were never refused access to a doctor.  Lots of my friends seem to be having the same problem.  Doe's anyone actually know why this trend has begun?

I have to say that I seem to be extremely lucky and don't have any problem either getting to see my own gp or another doctor in the practice if he is not available.  However, as more and more of my friends appear to be having this problem, I am astonished as to why. 

Certainly, will query this with my gp when I next need to see him but is there someone on the site who knows what has caused this new phenomenon?  Presumably, government led and involving PCTs and finance?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 20:02:41 »
Muds, all I know is, is that there was a Govt.-led initiative & directive to NHS surgeries to only make appts. 48hrs in advance?.........and quite recently, but very recently,  Tony Blair showed Shock Horror when the stupidity of this was pointed out to him by the Voting Public & the policy is going to be reversed? Pratt. >:(

[size=8]( Pratt = my thoughts only, folks....)[/size]

PS On review, this PS came up really, but really large, even tho I'd signalled the size to be really really small (8).....but oh heck! it's the weekend, innit, it's what I feel  & I'm gonna press 'Post'

;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 20:16:56 »
Petals - I hasten to add that my quote was the view taken by many. Nothing to do with your visit.

We are very fortunate here with a brilliant service - despite being very short staffed recently.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 21:39:24 »
I've heard from somewhere, don't know where that we're all going to get a survey about our doctors in january so that'll shake them up, just imagine the complaints they're going to get, ray says it was on the news   ;D

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 22:14:48 »
I think that the 8 AM thing is because people were making appointments days in advance & forgetting them, gettting better, & not turning up for the appointment.
In the last couple of months my surgery has gone online, I can book appointments, order repeat prescriptions, and get test results online, oh, & get prescriptions picked up & delivered to the door free.
Mac.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 23:00:15 »
Love our Doctors surgery.  It is quite a large practise with about 8 partners, a selection of locums, several practise nurses and 'other' experts who run various clinics like midwives, health visitors, back docs (whos name I can neither spell....nor currently remember!  I blame paint fumes!!)  You telephone on the day for an appointment on the same day.  If you have something different - not an urgent visit - then you can make an appointment at another date.  They have an emergency surgery around lunchtime for an hour for those who have urgently called later in the morning and there are no appt's left.  We can see any doctor or nurse we like, or we can let the receptionist choose, even though we have an elected doctor.  Gotta say, I love our part of Essex and I appreciate how very lucky we are to have this service.  (Our dentist is also fab!)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 00:40:36 »
Pratt = my thoughts only, folks

Oh no, you're not alone there

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 00:50:57 »
Must say I can understand all frustrations with the current system but luckily (touching every bit of wood in the vicinity) have never had to fight for an appointment.  We can't book any appointments at all in advance.  All have to be booked at 8.00am on the day, even repeat visits.  It's worked so far: I haven't been to the doctors in 3 years ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 11:58:13 »
Our Dr's surgery has a notice up every week showing the number of appointments missed every month..........and it's a pretty shocking number!  :o They do a mixture of urgent 'on the day' appointments (the ring at 8am type), and the 'book in advance' type, seems to work pretty well.

We used to have a real dragon of a receptionist that was pretty tough to get by, but thankfully she has retired now and the others are superbly helpful , particularly with kids appointments, so well done Derby!

I really like the sound of online bookings and results service though, it must waste so much time booking further appointments 'coz they won't give results over the phone......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Yellow Petals

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 16:57:01 »
Love our Doctors surgery.  It is quite a large practise with about 8 partners, a selection of locums, several practise nurses and 'other' experts who run various clinics like midwives, health visitors,

EJ, this is what makes it all the more annoying because our surgery is also all of the above (I think we have ten doctors but I can't be sure) with various nurses rooms, health visitor rooms, side clinics, chaparones etc etc and I still I can't get in there! 

I deeply regret moving the family from our old surgery (which I kept although we moved to our current location 15yrs ago) to this one.  I don't like it at all. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 04:56:27 »
This story was on the late news 2 days ago about GP practices and appointments. Apparently - according to ITN, if GPs manage to get so many patients seen within 48hrs they can earn up to £8000 extra for meeting government targets. Obviously when your surgery submits their MET targets, your appointment would have vanished from statistics no doubt...... >:(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal