Author Topic: Crazy allotment related habits  (Read 23454 times)

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
Re: Crazy allotment related habits
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 14:40:37 »
I went to a friend's for dinner the other night - she sent me home with a carrier bag of kitchen waste...
Interesting variation on the "piece of cake wrapped up in a napkin"?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 17:14:50 »
Mini I hope you haven't been rooting around in her dustbins.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 10:40:08 »
A fetish for yoghurt pots!! I can´t see one layin around, they have to be cleaned and filled with compo and a seed!!!!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 17:15:04 »
it's dark now, so I'm off next door to nick... er... "give a new lease of life" to some pallets and other bits of wood I spy....

Don't tell OH... ::) ;D

halibut-t

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 20:39:02 »
You know when your bath toys get all icky acky inside? Well a family of frogs have now left the bathroom and are at the lotty waiting to have canes shoved up their holes.  :o

All the full cans of Stella in a hole under the shed soon become empty cans on canes.

Like you say its a shame to throw anything away that may be shiny and possibly useful. I'm the only one on our lotty with Stella Artois bird scarer's/ eye pokey-out preventors. I'll let you know if it catches on.
Only dead fish go with the flow!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 18:00:23 »
Give us a shout when you get some more stella in Dave and I'll come round and help you empty them ;) , you can never have too many anti-eye pocky out thingies, we're so helpful on this forum and before anyone else volunteers their services threes a crowd.     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2007, 18:45:03 »
The old can a beer trick on canes...earwigs love to move into them..... done that got the teeshirt :-[

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2007, 22:30:12 »
but if the earwigs "bug" you you do know where they are!
 ;D

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2007, 22:28:14 »
All those large mineral water-bubbles that we have at work made very cosy homes for my squash and courgette plants.  ;) ;)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2007, 10:02:48 »
All those large mineral water-bubbles that we have at work made very cosy homes for my squash and courgette plants.  ;) ;)

Ooh ooh ooh - I passed one yesterday at the side of the road - I may just have to recycle it today!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2007, 09:58:29 »
My best thing is my 10 inch suspended disco glitterball which throws hundreds of tiny lights over the plot on sunny days, scaring pigeons away. Sometimes when I'm listening to the radio and a funky track comes on its hard not to break into a John Travolta dance while wearing my manky boiler suit and wellies.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:01:19 by sawfish »

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2007, 15:47:21 »
Just collected 32 sacks of woodchip from a pile at the side of the road. Will be great for the paths between my raised beds. Just couldnt leave it there ;D ;D ;D

cj :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2007, 21:17:54 »
You were only doing your duty Caroline.   ;D ;D ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 10:23:25 »
I have permission (at last...I used to do it secretly at night) to help myself from a mountain of woodchips and short planks of waste wood from a nearby factory. I stagger in and out of their gate with sacks and trolleyloads of the stuff, and no-one ever asks what I am doing and why. Another large local company lets me take cardboard from their giant cardboard skip, and again, either no-one comments, or one particular man actually helps by jumping into the skip and hurling it out. And I help myself to newspaper from recycling bins.

The cardboard and paper make paths across the rough grass of my new allotment (gradually digging it out of a field), and are spread over future beds to discourage the weeds while I dig, the woodchips cover the paths, and the planks hold the woodchips in, and are laid out as further discouragement of weeds.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 10:29:10 »
I have permission (at last...I used to do it secretly at night

I bet it was much more fun when it was 'illegal' ;D ;D ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 10:43:15 »
I have permission (at last...I used to do it secretly at night

I bet it was much more fun when it was 'illegal' ;D ;D ;D

Did you wear a black balaclava and boot polish your face!!?? ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 11:48:16 »
I used to wheel my bicycle through a gap in their fence, trying to look casual, and wheel it out again loaded with planks and sacks of woodchips feeling very guilty and awkward, especially when I met people I knew. I am rather happier with the new arrangement! I park my car outside their gate and wheel wood and chips out to it on a sack trolley until it is full, so it's more practical, too.

I too am tempted to take friends' vegetable peelings home; I help my London daughter with her garden, and bring home sacks of vegetation, and I think I am planning to ask her to save her peelings for me now that I visit her once a week (new baby). I've just bought a Green Cone, and am keen to feed it (£10, subsidised by local council).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:51:55 by artichoke »

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 16:45:47 »
Definitely more fun the SAS way, dodging search lights, hiding in the shadows from security guards, throwing drugged meat to the guard dogs, you must miss it.
 ;D ;D ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 19:33:19 »
What a brilliant image, I wish I matched it.

More bag lady than SAS, sadly.  Though I did work in Middle East with SAS guides. Happy days. Hideous stories they told about their training.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2007, 23:16:53 »
This is without a doubt the best posting I have read yet on this site,and I thought I was the only Womble out there,  I am trying to picture us all creeping around in the night, Wouldnt this make areally super sitcom show. Well done to all you posters I have had a really sad day and I am laughing now On a more serious not why do folks think we are nuts, I think they are for thinking it is junk in the first place, this is treasure. Anyone remember when your Mum or Dad sent you out with a spade and a bucket to follow the coal mans horse around, I do !! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal