Author Topic: Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please  (Read 25457 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2004, 18:56:36 »
All 25 (orginally 30 of which 1 eaten and 4 "walked") have survived.  Can't remember name and can't find packet but they were Mr Fothergill's F1 something....

Think they might be a bit too advanced (5" to 7" tall with up to 7 leaves) but they are all very strong looking. They have been hardening off for about two weeks in 4.5"/5" pots in the mini plastic g'houses (with the fronts open these last few days/nights)  I know I cannot plant out as it is far too early for this area (Central Scotland) but am cocnerned because they will be too big to pland under bottles.  will have to pur something around the (wee) vlock to protect when they do first go out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 18:58:14 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2004, 22:45:55 »
Well it seems this week is official plant your sweetcorn out week in this part of Essex.  Bold as brass, no protection at all and a zillion slug pellets ( ??? ) .  So, not one to be left in the cold, I will happily wait another week or 2, can't hurt can it.  I have my bottle cloches at the ready and tomorrow I hope to more or less finish digging plot numero 2 where the corns are going to reside so I think all is well, and I am currently happy.  Now, feeding these babies?  I will be interplanting with squashes in big piles o' poo, will the corn need any extra grub?  ;D

JAL

• Not So New ...
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2004, 23:45:47 »
Hi,

My second sowing are now out on a table hardening off - if they haven't germinated within 2-3 weeks I replant.  Depending on weather I will plant out within the next 1-2 weeks.
If I don't get germination within 3 weeks I reseed.

jal

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal