Author Topic: Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please  (Read 25408 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
Re:Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2004, 14:03:31 »
I made a brave decision, popped into wilkos at lunchtime and bought 60 square almost 3" pots  :o  So I will use these for the bulk, and do the last dozen in toilet rolls as a trial :)

I was gonna nick cups from the drinks machine but thought better of it  ::)  was even gonna buy some cups (tall ones) but square pots came to about the same, so what the heck. Will be easier to knock the plant out tho than a segmented tray I am sure!  Now I just need to find room on all these windowsills....hmmmm  ;D

Hopefully mine wont have time to grow that far this time Phil!! I definitely learnt last year tho.  but it was more the soil in the tray goes loosish and you cant just 'prick' them out properly.  cant tip the whole tray upside down, so have to dig it out and then end up disturbing the roots a bit!!  This time I'll only be keeping them in 3-4 weeks then straight out on the lottie.  

« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 14:04:37 by kingkano »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2004, 14:20:03 »
I must make it clear that I was using old drinks cups!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2004, 18:25:23 »
Phil, no need to explain...we all know you are a good honest law abiding citizen  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 18:26:23 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2004, 18:43:43 »
I've only got 25 corns which are in 4.5/5 inch pots in the mini greenhouse things outside.  I worry about them because it is pretty cold but they seemed to be big enough to leave the heated greenhouse.  they are now about 5or 6 inches tall and have I think 5 or 6 leaves on average and seem o.k. Hope that's what they should be.   ???

Don't intend planting them out for about 4 weeks yet as I am sure it won't be warm enough up here (Central Scotland).  Wasn't going to plant anything around them as space is limited so they will be in a wee block.  Keeping fingers tightly crossed - hate the thought of the ones I gave away thriving and mine dying of cold but will grin and bear it!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2004, 19:20:49 »
I must make it clear that I was using old drinks cups!!!

Yeah I knew that  ;D  sadly everyone here crumples them up - the beggars!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2004, 19:32:23 »
Poor relations - we haven't even sown ours yet!

Interesting, this 3 sisters idea - reckon they must have used maize-type corn, not the low growing stuff we have now? Or less vigorous beans? = Tim

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2004, 21:09:04 »
The F1 corns are bred for short seasons Tim. This almost automatically implies smaller plants.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2004, 21:48:28 »
Wasn't going to plant anything around them as space is limited so they will be in a wee block

Wicker, why would you want to plant your corns in a toilet block on a camp site?  ;) ;D ::)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2004, 22:07:37 »
Hey smarty pants EJ you've given me a good laugh  :D  I couldn't think what you meant until I read the quote again!!

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2004, 06:37:53 »
Not complaining, John, that's just what I meant - the Iroquois had longer seasons, & therefore taller bean-supporting corn.

In passing, my g/grandmother was bargained for by the Indians on her way back fron Colorado to Indiana. 'How much for the blonde one, they asked'!! = Tim
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 06:40:47 by tim »

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2004, 07:35:25 »
And I thought _I_ was getting left behind  :D  When are you sowing yours mate??

Yep different corn, and I cant figure out which squashes yet :) great idea to dry them tho.  and lots of uses for sunflower seeds :)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2004, 07:49:17 »
Just out of curiousity Tim, or anyone , how tall do the cvs. adapted to the U.K. climate get?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2004, 17:37:09 »
Our Honey Bantam are about 4'6" - but I think that there are smaller ones. = Tim

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2004, 10:12:51 »
Just out of curiousity Tim, or anyone , how tall do the cvs. adapted to the U.K. climate get?

Between 4 and 6ft, would agree 5ft is the average size in a half decent summer.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2004, 18:15:10 »
Had to plant out a row of 10 plants today, they are 9inches tall and pot bound. I know it is still a little early, but I have 100 plants (98 actually after losses), and they are all gagging for the sky now! Do you all think I am in with a chance, I may end up planting another 10 next week, and so on until the end of May, when they will all go out. The variety is Kelvedon Glory, reliable I find for my area.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2004, 20:48:27 »
This is only my third effort at sweet corn. Once in the UK when I just ran out of sunshine, once last year when I gave all my plants way(!) and this year when I intend to eat the stuff. Just today I put them outside to harden off. They're about 7" tall and looking healthy in the loo rolls and plastic water pipe. Every year I see crops in the lotties at about 6' tall.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2004, 09:34:01 »
Derek,

Kelvedon Glory is the one I, reasonably succesfully, grow in NW Hampshire.

Last year the corns were a bit stunted - I have no water on the allotment which is thin soil over over chalk.

Normally 2 large and 1 small corn when planted in blocks 15" apart

Phil

I buy the bigger pack from EW King (with 35% discount) whcih gives me enough for the allotment (~60) plus loads to grow for our group's Plant Sale - and therefore I make a profit before even planting them out!

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2004, 17:24:06 »
My Sweetcorn this afternoon.

They are in 3" pots and were sown 27th April.

The Gardener

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2004, 18:29:51 »
Okay - happy - mine are very similar indeedy!  I have lost 4 in total to some mystery critter who munched them off at ground level, but even if I only get one cob, I will be over the moon!  ;D

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2004, 18:56:16 »
Me  ;D too.  I sowed mine 29/4 and they look very similar.  And here was me reading this forum where your all practically harvesting already and getting worried!!!  ::)  no rush eh!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal