Author Topic: Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please  (Read 25446 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:Sweetcorns...a beginners guide.....please
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 14:21:30 »
I don't think sweetcorn is strong enough for climbing runners, but should be ok for the climbing french beans...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 14:27:00 »
Think it is in the current GQT programme - re planting a fish (head/cheap one) where you are planting your sweetcorn - provides fertiliser for it - Bob Flowerdew suggested this!!!!! If you haven't got time to "listen again", it will be broadcast again on Wednesday at 3pm, on BBC Radio 4.
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 17:48:38 »
hi everyone - new person here :)

I have my sweetcorn seeds but was holding off starting them, as everywhere I can grow em is warm!! (22-24C) but one is a very sunny place.

When do you recommend I sow them, I am in North Kent, so my last frost has probably been, slight risk until mid May I spose.  I was thinking to sow them late this week, and then as soon as they show start hardening them off to plant out mid/late may, is ok???

Whats the best method too, toilet rolls? large propapacks (cell trays)?

ta in advance :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 21:58:25 »
Kingkano, Sowed mine yesterday and I am on the border of Kent n Sussex, but mine are in my unheated greenhouse. Planting mine out when my first earlies have been dug up, cos I need their space ;D  As to planting underfoot, I have always planted my pumpkins under my sweetcorn, (all through weed supressing membrane)they both seem to like it :D Have 4 big pumpkins from one plant last year under the corn, were great to carve for Halloween!! (did the old pop bottle watering method with it)  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Steve__C

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2004, 22:24:07 »
I live in the Thames Estuary part of Essex, I will plant my sweetcorn out in the last week of May.
For info, last week we were still having frosts that were knocking back the potatoes. They would have killed the corn.

Word of warning, some of the frosts we got last week were not forecast!!

Since the sun came out two weeks ago I have seen dead runner beans, courgettes and marrows as well as tomatoes on my site. Some gardeners are over eager. Unless you have got spare plants to take the risk with keep the plants inside a little longer. If you have the spares then good luck.
Regards
Steve

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 22:28:52 »
Well, as I still have the room in my greenhouse, my corns are spending the daytimes languishing in my garden but the nights tucked up snuggly in my insulated greenhouse.  Their growth does seem to have slowed down now, which worries me as I have never ever ever successfully grown corn, but I shall continue to chat to them and hope for the best.

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2004, 07:09:41 »
Yep already going the planting underfoot route, after reading up heaps about it.  Am trying various actually, butternut squashes, pumpkins, melons, see what does well.

Wasnt sure about the whole climbing bean thing, it just makes me think of a bean strangling the corn!  But was going to try a couple.

BTW another good companion I heard is sunflowers, so throw a couple round in your corn field, apparently they boost each other no end.

ken

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 09:08:13 »
We have some corns growing at the moment (still in the unheated greenhouse - and doing well) and we hadn't thought about all this underfoot growing that everyone seems to be talking about....

Do you sow your squashes and stuff outside once your corns are in or do you sow them in trays to get them going first and then transplant alongside the corn?

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2004, 09:18:07 »
Got my squashes in trays, but I will transplant to larger pots for a month.

Looking at the blightwatch website - you can watch blight in several areas. They have the data for last year which gives minimum temperature - there was a frost in mid-May last year for Bromley (Kent) (which is where I used to live). Will probably transplant my corn in late May, beginning of June.

- edit, blight-watch. website is: http://www.potatocrop.com/blight/- though I think you may have to register.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:21:54 by Multiveg »

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 10:16:34 »
Could you PM me what site that is??  I dont remember us having a May frost last year, but you could be right, I remember my early runner beans got off fine, perhaps they werent enough above ground tho.

Late May sounds like a go tho, since I havent even sowed them yet, that'll be fine  ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2004, 12:42:19 »
I have my squashes all in pots Les and will plant them around the corns as I go.  I am also going to grow my sunflowers on this plot and my tom plants but I shall keep them to the edges so they don't get strangled by the squashes.  There just isn't enough room, or hours in the day for what I wanna grow.  I wouldn't mind, but none of my lot are that keen on veggies so I am going to be bulging with vitamins come harvest time!

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2004, 12:52:01 »
At least you will keep the dreaded colds away when winter eventually comes around.....

What is the germination time for squashes as we haven't sown any yet but will do this weekend so they can be with the corns?

Any ideas on what squashes to grow....ie what is the easiest?

Les

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2004, 12:58:51 »
They germinate ever so quickly, within days they are poking through.  Have no idea what are the easiest or best, I have a go at whatever looks unusual or yummy.  I am growing lots of melons and cucumbers as they are what everyone eats, then a few big pumpkins for the kids at halloween, then lots of odd and sods like butternuts, acorns, blue coloured ones, yellow courgettes, patty pans and so on.  Ava loves them to look at, not to eat.  Men!!  ::)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004, 13:22:05 »
Thanks for the ideas EJ.

Will definately be trying some......

Les

PS

less of the generalizations........LOL ;D :D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2004, 18:03:29 »
Here is a snap of my sweetcorn babies as of this afternoon.  How do they look folks?  Look small to me but as you know, I am certainly no expert and have no idea what they should look like.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 19:14:45 »
Look bigger than mine as I only planted mine 2 days ago!! :o  DP

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 19:44:12 »
Whats the best idea then, segment trays of 40, segments with 24 or toilet rolls  ::)

Last year I did the larger segment trays (24 to a tray) and when I planted them out they seemed okay, but I did have to wrangle them out the tray  ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 21:40:05 »
Kingkano, I put mine into individual pots for lessening root disturbance. This year I have splashed out and put them into root trainers that you just plonk into the soil, so I would guess toilet rolls would be good! Dottie P

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 22:09:50 »
actually that gives me another thought, plastic cups.  they are quite individual :)

I had considered individual pots, but the thought of 70 3" pots + all my tomatoes (about 40), melons, peppers, aubergines, and I only have a flat! lol  Plastic cups might work tho....  toilet rolls was one idea :)  I have read mixed views tho, some say they dont break down all that well.  others reckon they're great.  *sigh*

cheers for the advice

ken

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2004, 09:58:33 »
I have used old drinks ups (from alongside the drinks machine at work) with hole drilled in the bottom - a pile of cups upside down and three holes drilled as far as the bit will go doesn't take too much time, but kingkango's problem will occur with all pots (less root trainers or toilet rolls) if you let the roots grow through the bottom of the pot - and you try stopping them

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal