Author Topic: soil improving  (Read 1185 times)

amy_a

• Not So New ...
soil improving
« on: November 30, 2006, 22:26:53 »
We're planning to start digging our new plot this weekend (weather permitting) and I am assuming that we should then put something into the soil to improve it. We've got quite a lot of good compost in our home heap which I plan to use, is this enough or should I get some manure as well? If so where from and how much will it cost? I've got a friend who's just brought a load of seaweed back from Scotland for her lottie!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: soil improving
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 22:40:12 »
Hi Amy, yes as much compost and organic matter as you can. Your site sec may have a pet farmer contact who will deliver.. we pay about £25 a ton (although I have never weighed it!) or a Mushroom farm wishing to get rid of spent compost, (25p a bag). Don't muck if you want to grow roots care with the Mushroom as it tends to be limey. Seaweed is great. If you know someone who is seriously into home brew or a micro brewery the spent mash is good! You will usually find a plot that has been left fallow (unused) gives good returns the first year but the trick is to keep up the fertility. Grass etc dies down in situ and feeds the soil, we take the goodness away to feed us!
 ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 15:44:47 »
:D   Hi Amy if you have stables near by they are only to glad to give the manure away, thats what I did anyway but remember don't manure where your roots are to be planted.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 16:43:22 »
yea...most farmers at this time of the year be able to deliver manure for you. I paid £30 for 4 tonnes.....and that was only because he was coming from far away. you don't even need to dig it in. put it over your plot and the wheather and worms will do the work for you over winter.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 20:53:33 »
I use manure where I am going to put my brassicas and spuds. Also going to grow rhubarb, courgettes and pumpkins straight out of a small piles of manure this year. Compost for the rest of the allotment. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal