Author Topic: Am I mad?  (Read 6998 times)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Am I mad?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 11:39:21 »
Wow!!!!! Is all I can say, womble! And I thought I had a lot of couch grass!
Please tell me you're a teenager with an army of helpers!

No Caroline I'm not a teenager, 34yo bloke with very aching muscles! I wish I could find the army of helpers that everyone else seems to have when they clear their site ! :)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 12:13:27 »
That makes me feel a bit better, at least you're younger than me (although I know a lot of folks on here aren't & still achieve amazing things!). But you've certainly worked hard!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 13:24:11 »
Glosterwomble - you are abolutely stark raving mad - which is why you've found a spiritual home on this site.

You've acomplished in one week what I took 3 years to do.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 14:20:46 »
wow!! did you sleep at all!! i'm really impressed with what you've achieved in such a short time. you should be really chuffed.
your shed looks a bit like my first one, one dry corner you can lean in at a strange angle to avoid the drips.  :)
aching muscles = free workout, who needs a gym.
i look forward to seeing more pics as your plot progresses, well done.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 14:30:11 »
your shed looks a bit like my first one, one dry corner you can lean in at a strange angle to avoid the drips.  :)

When I was shown the site there were several plots available but this was the only one with a shed (if you can call it that!) It looks as if it's about to fall down but believe me when I say that it is well and truly 'rooted' to the spot, I've managed to get an old shed door from freecycle to replace the missing one, and I'm about to 'do it up' to make it a little sanctuary with the gas stove etc. I'm an old romantic at heart, a nice new posh shed just wouldn't be right!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 16:20:20 »
;) Fair play to you Womble and all in a week, you sure you didn't have Ground Force in to help you. Now that you have dug UNDERGROUND you can grow OVERGROUND an be Wombling Weed Free.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 16:48:08 »
Now that you have dug UNDERGROUND you can grow OVERGROUND an be Wombling Weed Free.  ;D ;D ;D

thats terrible!!! But it did make me smile! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 16:52:50 »
Great work.... keep it up! Look forward to more pics in spring and summer of Lottie bursting with produce!
 ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 17:10:28 »
Crikey..... reminds me of something else that was created in 7 days. Many congratulations, I just had to have a lie down when I looked at your pics. Just the thought of that amount of work made me feel tired ;D ;D. Well done you.
Lorna

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 17:15:07 »
Admit it Womble you found it furry funny.  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 17:34:20 »
I hate these clever buggers who got round the plot like a bloody whirlwind don't you Bunjy. No seriously yo have done an amazing job there. I wouldn't worry about the grass growing into your beds. I think that the speed you work at it will have a job to keep pace with ya. It just goes to show what you can do in a short time. Keep the pics coming in. My new plot has just been sprayed by the council and is due for rotovating before next feb.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 20:32:28 »
Admit it Womble you found it furry funny.  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh no, oh dear, cornykev they are getting worse! What next? Maybe some Wimbledon gag?? Come on don't disappoint me.

Thanks Lorna, I'm not feeling too high and mighty yet, LOTS more work to do yet. Shirlton...I seriously thought about spraying and rotovating, I think you will save lots of time!!!

nuttyone

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 17:23:02 »
Wow !! I am impressed. Yours is EXACTLY how mine looks after a week of looking and thinking !! Unfortunately I am unable to do the hard graft myself... so mine will take a little longer to control. Were you able to get the black sheeting cheaply somewhere? That seems to be the key to success in lotties like ours.

I had visions of covering the complete area with plastic, but looking at yours that does seem a little silly as I will also need paths etc........had a blonde moment !!!

Well done ! You have inspired me again, I was beginning to think I had taken on too much. Did you strim it by hand or hire a petrol one?

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 19:48:18 »
:) Womble I wouldn't do a Wimbledon gag, I think you really worked hard the lottie is looking  ACE  wait till you get all them veggies you'll be SERVING  up a treat but take your time don't make a  BALLS  up, that old shed looks like it could do with a few six inch nails to hold it together but don't make a RACKET with that hammer it will only annoy the neighbours. Make sure you get some iceBORG lettuce in and protect them with a  NET  but if they do bolt in the sun it won't be your  FAULT, anyway Womble I'm signing  OUT  now, I'm of to my friends party she's  40  poor  LOVE  hope she's got some  STRAWBERRYS AND CREAM  and  JUICE taa  taa

Cornykev

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 19:49:25 »
lol@kev

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 21:10:58 »
lol !! sounds like you've had a good welcome Womble.  Echoing everyone elses comments, I'm very impressed with your progress ... are you a superhero in disguise ??  :o  :D :D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 08:13:13 »
I take my hat off Cornykev, very good!!

Were you able to get the black sheeting cheaply somewhere? That seems to be the key to success in lotties like ours.

I had visions of covering the complete area with plastic, but looking at yours that does seem a little silly as I will also need paths etc........had a blonde moment !!!

Well done ! You have inspired me again, I was beginning to think I had taken on too much. Did you strim it by hand or hire a petrol one?

I bought the plastic on Ebay, not sure if it is cheaper than else where but it was quick to arrive etc. I borrowed my brother in laws petrol strimmer (and broke it!) I reckoned on it taking about 2/3 hours to strim...it took 3 DAYS!  :o

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 20:41:47 »
I agree about the ground elder, Robert, the bane of my life [or my garden at least], bindweed is nothing compared with it.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 15:57:40 »
Just in case it helps, my perimeter barrier is Mypex laid over newspaper round the edge of my new allotment, held down with ground staples and roofing nails. Outside the Mypex is rough grass, docks etc, so I strim them down from time to time which makes a nice green lawn effect, contrasting with the black of the Mypex and looking rather smart, especially with ranks of Cavalo Nero and leeks and broad beans rising against it inside the plot.

I resent the cost, but I think it is worth it, looking round at the abandoned plots in this large, beautiful but neglected field.

The effect is totally spoiled by the great heaps of cardboard boxes I collect to smother the rough grass where I have not yet dug or "lasagna'd" especially this morning when the wind had hurled them around. I also have sacks of leaves, weeds and woodchips spoiling the view.

One day it will all be organised and smart. I think what you have done is amazing, Womble.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 23:50:25 »
thanks artichoke, good advice. Isn't it a shame that there are so many plots unloved when there are people elsewhere desperate for the chance to dig their own allotment plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal