Author Topic: New Allotment - Ideas  (Read 2895 times)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
New Allotment - Ideas
« on: April 19, 2004, 16:55:10 »

I am thinking about getting my hands on an allotment, I seem to be running out of space in my own veg garden and there is an added complication that I do not own the land that my plot is on. It comes rent free but I have no security. I have been growing veg for about 8 years on my current plot but have grown before. Being a farmers son, though not working in agriculture, I find the time I spend out there with a fork in my hand good exercise and therapeutic. Also the pleasure of growing and then eating good fresh food is hard to beat.

Having spoken to my local council their 2 sites are full but two independents have plots, one being about ¾ of a mile from my house.

I would love some input from you guys who have plots about the day to day practicalities of running a plot. Is there water on site as a general rule , are sheds/greenhouses allowed, how secure are things, what size are the plots, how much do they cost per year, is it 24/7 access, can I pick my plot, etc.

Any information would be very useful. I plan to ring the chairman of the site this week to discuss with him. If the plots are overgrown I might wait until autumn and work through the winter to clear them, if they are in good form I may take one on right away.

Being at a distance, all be it close, I will probably grow hardier stuff there that does not need daily care. Maincrop Spuds, sweet corn, brassicas, root crops, pumpkins, leeks, etc.

Your thoughts will be very welcome.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Hot Chilli Pepper

Re:New Allotment - Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 11:51:07 »

Tall Trees

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 09:20:15 »
All sites i have come accross have a water supply usually in the form of several taps dotted all over the whole site.  The site may have rules on the use of hosepipes though.

Sheds and/or greenhouses are usually allowed but with rergard to security it is best to not have the shinest and newest shed/greenhouse on the plot and be sensible about what you keep inside and the type of locks and hinges etc to minimise the risk.  You should know yourself if the area is subject to prolific theft/vanadlism.

My plot measures generally around 10m x 40m which is somewhere around the norm but plots can be slightly larger or smaller.  I pay £21 for one years rent and again there will be some people paying a bit more or a bit less.

Access is usually 24/7 however my site makes the rule of no one on the site after last light.

You should be able to pick your plot from any of the remaining vacant plots.

The best bet is to arrange to meet the secrtary of the site and discuss these items with him.  He will let you know all the rules for the site and should show you round the vacant plots.

Ask as many questions as you like we willl always answer here.

Happy digging

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:36:08 »
Thanks guys

I spoke to the chairman of the plots last night on the phone. Seemed very nice on the phone and we chatted for about 30 mins about the plots in general and my plans. He has a plot or 2 free, one being a plot sommeone is giving up after 30 odd years due to ill health. Hopefully it is fully prepared and ready to go.

I am going up there on Saterday to meet the chairman and have a nose around with him. Being only about 1.5 miles from home I might be able to get away with out a shed to begin with. Will keep an eye out in the free mags for a second hand one though.

The plan will be to plant main crop spuds, brasicas, leeks, root crops etc there. Keeping my more intensive crops at home and the crops we constantly pick through the summer such as the salads. I also currently have 3 greenhouses at home for the toms, peppers, chillies, marrows, melons, etc. So no need for another just yet, though a poly tunnel is a temptation!!!

Thanks again

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal