Author Topic: Lottie fruit cage  (Read 2483 times)

versace

• I love Allotments4All
Lottie fruit cage
« on: April 09, 2004, 17:24:58 »
Has anyone got any ideas for a fruit cage that won't cost the earth.  Size needed is 16ft x 16ft. Help! :-\

jethro

Re:Lottie fruit cage
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 18:28:25 »
Try using old scoffold tubes and clips, you can get them cheap if you pinch them or if your straight go to the company and ask they should give you some pretty cheap

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 07:30:08 »
At last, a question I actually have knoweldge about!  Firstly versace, do you know someone who can erect scaffold - it sure is heavy stuff when it falls on your head.  I'd hate to see HSE swarming around your plot stomping on your seeds!  What surface is it going to be based on, are you going to cement the tubes in or have it as a free-standing structure.  Let me know and I can give you a list of the scaffolding plant you will need.  Whereabouts do you live - if you live anywhere I have a plant supplier I may be able to get you a discount - big buyers pay around 1p per foot for tube - but you'll probably get stung if you are buying retail.

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 18:45:46 »
versace,
 I think i have posted this idear before. I use an old frame tent frame covered with netting I managed to scrounge from some local scafolding workers.
Ask friends or work collegues if they know of any one renewing their tent or even try putting an add in your local paper, and keep an eye open for scafolders.

Hope this helps

Regards

Alan

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 12:45:00 »
Alan, I hadn't seen this idea before - its brilliant - light, moveable and even I can put it together without a manual!  I'm off to look for old tent frames!  Scaffolding debris netting I can get in abundance - but does it not create too much shade?

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 21:25:54 »
Ceri,
The netting may be a bit heavy but it was free. One of my other allotment Tenants use cheap window netting that they bought from a fabric remnant out let. Still  cheap and chearfull.

Regards

Alan

danny_lewis

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 18:39:51 »
hey versache,
      all you need to buy is 4 fruit canes, (the big ones, 2 one size and 2 the other) cover them with netting (bean or pea) and there you have your fruit cage.
            from danny lewis  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal