Author Topic: tomatoes from cuttings?  (Read 1670 times)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
tomatoes from cuttings?
« on: December 28, 2006, 14:14:43 »
I've never bothered growing toms from cuttings but I think I'm going to try next year.

The reason? I have a couple of broken branches (Golden Sunrise and Golden Peardrop) that I salvaged and stuck in a bottle on the windowsill as they still had toms ripening on them. Not only have the tomatoes ripened (and been munched) -- the branches have now started rooting  ::)

I just had in mind some of the varieties that are relatively costly... plus it frees up valuable space in seed trays if I can just pop a bunch of sideshoots into a jar (every horizontal surface gets commandeered between Feb and May). If these branches are any guide, they'll grow away really fast!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: tomatoes from cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 18:29:30 »
Its an interesting thought, I certainly had not thought about it. It would be one way of getting F1 hybrids multiplied.

You would need to overwinter the root-stock in a greenhouse and then bring them on early in order to get the shoots growing.

I wish you well with the experiment.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 20:18:55 »
I do cuttings (side shoots) every year.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 20:21:38 »
I´m a convert! got some Chadwick Cherry toms in the greenhouse from a summer cutting, now fruiting!! Free plants!!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 21:12:51 »
 ;D

Thank you; now mega-encouraged!

And yes, Larkshall, I was also thinking about F1s, plus the varieties not available from nurseries/mail order companies as seed but only as plants...

Biscombe, presumably you have a much longer tomato-growing season anyway where you are? 

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 23:12:30 »
Yes longer season but messed up a little and didn't plant in succession (newbie!) but was saved with a few cuttings! Forcast -2 degrees this weekend got a heater in the greenhouse keeping the temp at 10 degrees but hope theres enough light to keep the tomatoes going!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 23:05:07 »
Yes, I am a cutting taker.  I choose a good strong side shoot and that is rooted to provide me with toms now!  Still have a few in the greenhouse trying to ripen.  They will come in next week as I really do need to clean the green house out now for the new year!

antdg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 18:13:30 »
Hi all

Can this method work for chillies. I have a inferno chillie over wintering in the house at the mo?

Cheers

Tony
New to this pls be gentle

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 15:29:30 »
I do cuttings (side shoots) every year.

Hi Tim,

Happy New Year.

Have you tried cuttings from Santa F1?