Author Topic: Magnolia tree - forming seed 'pods'  (Read 2791 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
Magnolia tree - forming seed 'pods'
« on: October 30, 2006, 17:47:15 »
I have an old magnolia tree in my garden and this year, for the first time in 10 years, it has produced seed pods.  These started to form in June and looked liked knobbly short green bananas.  They have now turned a wonderful pinky-red colour and have seeds inside.  I have never seen this before so apologies if this is a common occurence - am going to try and grow some but think it might be very difficult from seed.  The gardener where I work said they may just remain dormant for years.  Anyone know anything about this? ??? :)
Weeds? What weeds?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Magnolia tree - forming seed 'pods'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 18:00:23 »
If you don't plant some you'll never find out! You may have to wait a couple of years, but what's the harm?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 16:00:15 »
 This is straight from the book, never done them myself, but the practice is much the same for other tree seeds.
Collect the ripe seed cone. Allow to dry until the seeds start to come away. Soak the free seeds in warm water with a little detergent to remove the waterproof coating. Once this has softened clean it all off and dry the seeds with paper towel. Sow the seeds fresh in normal compost and leave in a frame outside over winter OR Sow in damp vermiculite or perlite in a sealed plastic bag and refrigerate (40f. or salad rack of fridge, not freezer) for 2 months before sowing in gentle heat (20c or 68f).
Gardening is the great leveller.

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 18:21:19 »
Thanks to both for responding - I am definitely going to have a go.  I will plant them up and leave them in a corner of the cold frame and see what happens - who knows, might just work  :D
Weeds? What weeds?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 19:08:30 »

Saw these in Sicily this year ... brought a few seeds home  :-[  shall try you instructions  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 21:30:10 »
I've got 2 magnolia trees, one big cream/pink one & one small purple one.  They have both produced seeds for the first time this year - they are amazing red - they look like they are made of plastic.  Think I will try and germinate some too.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 22:47:49 »
They can take up to two years to germinate and then as they are from often hybrid plants you can get very poor plants.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 19:56:11 »
Same thing has happened to my tree too! Must be something to do with the weather!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 20:30:48 »
I've sown seeds of Magnolia sprengeri in autumn outdoors. One seed germinated in the spring. I now have a 4 year old tree, still in a pot as it's slow-growing.

Good luck Autumn Leaf :)!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal