Author Topic: Cutting my lawn  (Read 1236 times)

Vony

• Acre
Cutting my lawn
« on: November 13, 2006, 18:22:04 »
I've just had to cut my large lawn again November 13th but it was growing so long still added to which all the Autumn leaves were starting to get tangle in amongst it.

Has anyone else had to cut there lawn this late in the season, and by doing this does it encourage moss growth.

Vony. 

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Re: Cutting my lawn
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 18:39:05 »
nah it doesn't. as long as the grass isn't wet when you cut it. even then it won't kill the grass....the only damage will be that the ground will be soft and the lawnmower rubbing against the grass will pull it out the ground.

I'm going to mow my lawn this weekend if the weather's not too bad. i've got crocuses in there and i want them to really stand out when they pop out in spring.

though i would rake the lawn regularly if you've got leaves dropping.....once a week atleast if you can manage it on the weekends. or mow your lawn with something that picks the cuttings up aswell.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 18:45:36 »
Many Thanks for your wise words of wisdom, much appreciated,
Vony

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 18:53:49 »
The big deal about giving it a skim now is that it gobbles the leaves as well?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 22:17:57 »
My grass (new in the spring) is growing so fast at the moment that my hand lawn mower can;t do it and I've had to strim it. It needs another strim now.

At my new allotment site I have been nagging the council to mow down the knee deep rough grass all over the field and The Man turned up with his machinery a few days ago and did a good job. I happened to be there, and he said he'd never expected to have to mow it yet again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 22:31:36 »
I am still mowing my flipping lawn fortnightly, and at work we are still cutting lawns weekly!  As Tim said, the good thing about mowing in my garden is the leaves are hoovered up at the same time.  Last winter I had to mow several times - if I leave our grass to long, when we have rain it becomes incredibly waterlogged and you can hear the water trickling through it.  By keeping it short, the air can circulate and the sun can reach through and dry it out quicker.

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 06:04:54 »
Gosh ! ! what a lovely response I've had from you all - thank you so very much,   I use a Mountfield cutter for my lawn, and when I raise the rotary blade up to it's highest  it acts as a 'hoover' as well -getting rid of all the leaves  and empty chestnut cases as well,

I only hope this is my last cut as I've now re-cleaned my mountfied and stowed it away until next year, fingures crossed eh !!.

Again many thanks Vony.

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:01:55 »
I have had to mow my lawn more in the last couple of months than all summer.  It was so dry it just didn't grow. Making up for it now though. Trouble is it is now getting so wet it just clogs the mower up. I think you have go some to kill off grass but cutting it.
I'd rather be flying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal