Author Topic: Battery strimmers  (Read 2095 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Battery strimmers
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:36:39 »
I`m thinking of getting a battery powered, (18 volt) strimmer. I expect to use it for clearing paths and edges on my allotment, mostly grass and nettles nothing too heavy duty. Does anyone use one of these and are they a worthwhile purchase? Thank you.
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Tall Trees

• Not So New ...
Re:Battery strimmers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 08:45:36 »
Hi columbus,

personnal experience with a battery strimmer was pretty useless.  They usually cut ok for a few minutes and then  start to fade very quickly.  The revs needed to keep the cutting head turning and clear just cannot be generated.

The best bet really is to buy a small petrol strimmer (i never thought i would say this but for light grass and nettles the smallest petrol McColoch is great).

I personnally picked up a lower end Stihl machine brand new of ebay brand new for just £65, cheap as chips.

TT

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 09:29:30 »
I hav a B&D 18volt. I use it on the plot. Lasts about 15/20 mins and does a fair job. The Stihl at 65 quid sounds like a very good buy, tho. I think I might have been temted that way if I could have found one for that money.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:34:55 »
All my experience of battery anythings has been poor. Even struggling with my electric tiller.= Tim

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 18:54:07 »
Thanks all :)
I think I`ll research the petrol ones, as a non-car-owner petrol is a mystery to me (but so are plants and that hasn`t stopped me).
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal