Author Topic: How to get rid of rats (the squishy way)  (Read 6442 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
How to get rid of rats (the squishy way)
« on: December 01, 2003, 19:45:39 »
My other half has discovered a new way to rid the allotment of rats.

First, start digging out an enormous rosebush that is in the wrong place on the allotment. Dig a huge hole, following its roots down. Get fed up and go home.

Second, leave for a few weeks, until lots of fallen leaves have blown into the hole.

Third, return to have another go at the rosebush, this time with a pickaxe. Heave a mighty heft of the pickaxe into the hole to start loosening the roots. Accidentally put the pickaxe through a rat nesting in the nice comfortable leaves.

Fourth, quietly pick up all pieces of rat and dispose of without letting girlfriend know until it has all disappeared.

Finally, inform girlfriend when she is raking soil into the now vacant hole that "you didn't find the rat's tail... let me know if you spot it...".

Yucky!!!   :P

Ten x
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: How to get rid of rats (the squishy way)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 00:46:16 »
hehehe!  Delightful!  ;D

My old dad, many many many years ago, had a wee squishy type accident.  I kept rabbits, and they did what comes naturally to rabbits, and before you knew it, we had about 30 babies!  Dad built me an apartment building for all my babies, and during constuction, he let all the little darlings run around the garden.  Now, this was in the late 70's when those wooden schol clog type shoes were the fashion...do I have to go on....poor baby wabbit!  Poor mum having to clean the.....well anyhow, you get the picture.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 02:07:49 »
And it reminds me of one too ,when my hubby, Ian , got the loan of a manual lawn mower (the type with those spikey bits) when ours was being repaired. Well, we'd had this large toad in the garden for a couple of years and when he'd finished mowing the lawn and he sat down to clean the spikes ............ j it still makes me shudder to see all the bits!! Cheers Eileen. :o :(

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 10:48:44 »
Mine was strimming an edge next to the house, suddenly a lot of squealing and a frog leapt out! I still feel the guilt everytime I use the strimmer,  :'( (big frog lover here) but thrash about  in the grass before I fire it up now!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 11:12:20 »
Well about 4 years ago now I had a plastic kitchen bin in the conservtory no lid over wintering tender pond plants half full of water it was.
Hubby and mum thought it smelt funny and decided to change the water when I was at work. They emptied it out in the back garden two full grown rats dead in it.
I wish I had been there to see their faces, we had rats under the garage over winter but they never come in before must have been after the water jumped onto the cupboard and dived in and could not get out. Us with two dog they never heard anything.
You should see hubbys face when we retell the story it goes sort of white colour hee hee.
Teresa

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 14:23:31 »
What a gruesome selection of tales..... I recently found a half-eaten squirrel, coutesy of the foxes I think.
Happy gardening, Robin x

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 20:21:39 »
Good job the Hedgehog lady is not about, she would be foaming at the mouth. Rats must have really good teeth, one has chewed its way through 3 inches of concrete to get into the workshed. I think I will encourage it to break up the concrete round the house so I can put down some more, but level!.
Mind there is nothing worse than scraping frog off a garden fork.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal