Author Topic: Potatoes - is it possible to plant in autumn?  (Read 1062 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Potatoes - is it possible to plant in autumn?
« on: November 09, 2006, 17:17:12 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that potatoes can be planted in autumn. Does anybody have any experience with this?

This year I grew Foremost bought from B&Q, which I really loved the flavour of. I saved some healthy looking tubers and left them in kitchen until now. I checked them yesterday and noticed the tubers are sprouting, which I imagine is because of the kitchen being warm these days with heating on. They look very healthy otherwise, no sign of blight.

Is it wise to plant them now or should I wait until spring? ???

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Potatoes - is it possible to plant in autumn?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 17:59:43 »
It would be better to wait until spring since if they create any top growth it will be cut down by the least frost and the tubers may well rot in the cold, damp earth. Having said that, many tubers missed in this years harvest seem to survive the winter OK and sprout next spring. Give it a go you have nothing to lose since the already sprouting tubers you have will not keep till next spring ;).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 19:52:56 »
Some are kept back in cold storage to plant for Xmas under glass or polythene but unless it is planted say the end of August you will get no result.... does make you wonder about all those volunteers though!
 ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 20:18:31 »
Surely you can, but you might lose some plants over winter.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:59:12 »
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I will give it a go and plant them under fleece at the allotment and see what happens :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 23:31:58 »
It does make you wonder about self sets.
my SS come from the kitchen waste and fined they not only crop earlier but dont get eaten and beautiful spuds usualy eat them  for the salads. As space is limited.
Did wonder to set spuds now ( non shooting) in a trench and cover for winter to see what happens?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 13:15:34 »
If you plant earlies, something might happen (frost permitting) but maincrop tuber formin is triggered by the change in daylength at midsummer, so you won't get them early and just have the chance of lossing them to frost

I'm not certain about 2nd earlies.

If possible don't plant your own saved seed, the chances of propaating disease is too high. Things like eelworm are not visible but planting tuibers with them in will infect your ground. Certified seed is relatively cheap when you consider the cost of the tubers each seed tuber will produce and you will not spread diseases on your own ground or for spreading by aphids etc to others, including farmers whose business could be at risk

Phil

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal