Author Topic: Time to revise my plan?  (Read 3451 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Time to revise my plan?
« on: April 15, 2004, 08:57:48 »
When I took my new allotment over I initially had it rotivated. I then divided the plot into 9 beds around 10' X 4'. I worked out a plan for growing a varied range of veg.
I got the plot last November. I have spent most of the time since either forking out, hoeing to get the weeds out. I have put some soil conditioners on the plots. I have planted out some broad beans, onions, summer cabbage and brussel sprouts. Also sown some seeds parsnips, carrots and beetroot and pickling onions. However the seeds do not seem to be germinating and although the plants are surviving they dont exactly seem to be thriving.
Weeds are also growing fairly extensively as well and takes up a lot of time clearing and re-clearing.
I sort of feel that the best chance of have of getting more stuff to grow is to sow indoors and only plant out these rather than sow seeds?
Also I wonder if I am being too ambitious? should I just concentrate on weeding and more weeding....
Its a bit annoying though cause I want to grow stuff....... :-\ ???

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
Re:Time to revise my plan?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 09:23:35 »
Im having to do the same...havent even planted beans yet !

Reckon the first rule of agriculture is patience..

We will see.

Coming on here can be a bit disconcerting as everyone seems to be in a flap about something or other.

I maybe utterly wrong as its my first year as an allotmenteer, but i cant see how you can go wrong with
Planting
Protecting
Procrastinating

:)
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 17:57:13 »
planting, protecting yes, procrastinate? definitely not. The only way I see to move forward is to plan out what would be ideal try it. Then if that doesnt work, try something else. Then if that don't work, try something else.... etc etc.
I have just looked at the plot today, the surface reminds me a bit of the gobi desert.... no wonder those seeds wont germinate!! Still potatoes are starting to show and the broad beans look a bit more cheerful....... time to think about next plan of action!!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 22:41:24 »
Rotovation and couch grass?  

[heresy mode on]Rather than clear and re-clear, I'd be tempted to keep what you've sown so far weed free as far as possible; the rest - let the weeds grow on.  You've got all the chopped bits of root, and years of accumulated seeds, all waking up to the pleasures of spring!  Their pleasure, not yours - ???

And when you're ready to sow/plant a new bed, clear thoroughly with a fork - and you'll have a good crop of compost?[heresy mode off]

Next year won't be nearly so bad, though!

Good luck, Gavin

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 07:28:40 »
Thanks Gavin, yes I must admit when I saw the plot it was such a mess that rotivation seemed to be the answer. But I think I may have made a mistake going for that option. The soil is reasonably light and easy to dig, so it would have not been as hard as I expected.
I think when I visited the plot the other day I was a bit dispirited about it. As I had put a fair amount of effort into clearing it. And didnt seem to be making progress. But after dwelling on it for a couple of days I think that the solution you have offered is similar to the way I am beginning to think.

Cheers for now

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 07:58:28 »
Hi Garyp,

I know what you mean about the weeds - been there many times!!

I've had my plot 3 years now and all I can say it gets better. Like Gavin says there are years worth of weed seed in the soil plus seeds from any neglected plots nearby,etc.

I usually sow seed quite thickly as I still pull some out along with the weeds.

Don't let the b****** weeds get you down !!!

Gail.    :)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 08:13:46 »
thanks gail. I think the idea of sowing seeds more thickly sounds good. I was thinking, because the soil is not in great condition the next time I sowed some seeds that when I made the drill I would put some multi-purpose compost in it. then sow the seeds into that. I was wondering if that might help the seeds germinate?

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 09:04:10 »
Hi,

I had the same problems when I first started on my allotment and decided that I would test the acidity/alkalinity of the soil because many of the seeds germinate better if the soil condition matches closely their ideal.

You can get a soil testing kit from most garden centres quite cheaply and they give instructions on how to adjust the soil to the condition that you require.  For example, adding loads of organic matter (compost and manure) generally improves the soil structure etc but does tend to increase the acidity somewhat.

What I actually did was to map out the entire allotment by PH level (there is an enormous difference even within a few feet!!!) and now I only sow seeds that are appropriate for that area (until I forget!)

-- Alan
Always look on the bright side of life

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 11:19:55 »
Don't get too despondant Garyp, I think most of us have been there at some time...........have a look at the 'strawberry thread' and you will see what I mean.

Patience and hard work........is often the best fertiliser.

The Gardener

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 14:52:12 »
Thanks gardener, fantastic strawberries.
I think I have been suffering a slight blip in my enthusiasm this week. I am being a bit impatient expecting everything to happen at once. Its really encouraging to see examples like that just to show what can be done!!! excellent!!!

Cheers for now

Gary

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 21:59:20 »
It takes a couple of years
  • for the plot to speed up
  • and you to slow down!
By then, you're reasonably in tune?  And it's a wonderful feeling - hard getting there, but WELL worth it.  :)

Good luck - Gavin

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 13:27:49 »
Yup gavin, I like the two points you made.
I think I am in tune with what I want to do on the plot. What I think I have not got yet is the rhythm of the soil/land. I not quite in sync with that yet!

Cheers for now

Gary P.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2004, 15:04:26 »
Gavin, that is the soundest comment Ive heard.  Hope that it is true though and the work on the plot will speed up.  Do hope that it isnt true about me slowing down.  :-\ I know what you mean though ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal