Author Topic: How do I get into it?  (Read 20286 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
How do I get into it?
« on: November 08, 2006, 19:36:06 »
I've been thinking long and hard for the last few weeks...and I'm really considering a career in Horticulture. I've always been "into" my gardening....and even though it's the first year I've actually attempted it, it's always something that's interested me.

The problem is I have no idea where to start even finding out what my options are, costs, time etc.

Basically I'm 20 and I have my GCSEs....5 As, 4 Bs, and 2 Cs. Nothing after that unfortunately. I tried AS levels twice at 2 different colleges, but it just didn't work out, I basically had a lot going on to keep my mind on it.

I'm on an average wage...working about 40 hours at my job....so I'm preferably looking for something that I can do at home? or something in the evenings. And money is a huge factor in it all, well....mainly the fact that I don't have any.

So guys...where do I start lol.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: How do I get into it?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:45:50 »
Hi Wahaj, the way i did it, was to ask at my local college of the types of gardening courses they had, full time, part time, evening, or long distance, the course I'm on at this time i pay monthly as money is tight as well here, but you'll find that most colleges will help you out as they need the people (you --me--us all) to keep them open, (just click on this link and it will take you to the site)give www.learning-curve.org  a look, they are very helpfull, as you'll find any other college will be.
have you asked at your local works & pension office, they will be able to help you and advise you about getting any financial help, college grants, do the course now and pay it back when you work.

for work-- ask at your local council, parks department, for part time or weekend work, then when you have been there for a while you 'll know if you like gardening and want to take it up full time,
hope this helps
windy
my allotment
heaven

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 15:18:54 »
Hi Wahaj, the way i did it, was to ask at my local college of the types of gardening courses they had, full time, part time, evening, or long distance, the course I'm on at this time i pay monthly as money is tight as well here, but you'll find that most colleges will help you out as they need the people (you --me--us all) to keep them open, (just click on this link and it will take you to the site)give www.learning-curve.org  a look, they are very helpfull, as you'll find any other college will be.
have you asked at your local works & pension office, they will be able to help you and advise you about getting any financial help, college grants, do the course now and pay it back when you work.

for work-- ask at your local council, parks department, for part time or weekend work, then when you have been there for a while you 'll know if you like gardening and want to take it up full time,
hope this helps
windy

thanks windy. i rung the bank today and got declined for a loan. rung student loans and they says they don't fund anything if it's not involved with a college or uni. because the one i want to do is a home course for RHS level 2.

the one at college would cost a lot more and i'd have to go to it once every week after work aswell but i don't have a car so it's not really an option.

i guess i'll have to wait for another couple of months and see if my credit rating's any better to get a loan.

windygale

• Acre
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 15:40:35 »
hi wahja, sorry to hear that, did you look at learning curve, as the total price will be around £250 but you can split it down to 8 installments which works out to around £31.25 per month plus £ 20.00  for admin fees, so first payment would be £51.25 then 7 @£31.25 permonth and you cant find that amount per month,
have you rang your local council about jobs, ask if they would pay a home course or send you to college to take the course if you work for them full time. if you ring LC and ask for Iain or Jenny she may even help you pay over a longer time if you explain your problems to them , they are very helpfull, really, what have you to loose.

windy
my allotment
heaven

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 17:18:14 »
Most local councils now have contractors to do their parks and gardens,I doubt if there are any left that do it in house and if they did they would not fund you for college.

I note you do not have transport. How are you going to run your tools around?

If you find work in horticulture working for a company or Garden centre you will be paid minimum rate wages, they only pay more if you are qualified. Although there are equal opportunities, most will not take you on unless you look strong as it is hard work.

I have worked in horticulture for 35 years and it is only since I have been working for myself that I have made any money. But I have over £10,000 worth of equipment which includes a decent van which is essential.

Garden design is one of the options that some ladies take, but you need to get a name, which means showing off your skills at garden shows. To build a small garden at a show will set you back at least £4,000, so you need sponsors, who will only sponsor you if you are really good.

There are thousands of budding designers doing it at the moment. But only a couple of hundred making any real money.

I know this sounds very negative, but I hope you can find a way in, Try joining your local horticultural association. They can sometime give you some inside information. Get then to do a community area or adopt a school/hospital garden and get your name in the papers.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 17:31:27 »
Or look on newsagent notice boards / in newspapers for someone who needs a bit of basic weeding etc done for them that might earn you enough to fund a course like Windy's doing - it's worth a try!

You could see if your local council is going any evening classes, anything that is a start would help you decide if you want to do a full course.

Good luck

T.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 18:39:30 »
hi wahja, sorry to hear that, did you look at learning curve, as the total price will be around £250 but you can split it down to 8 installments which works out to around £31.25 per month plus £ 20.00  for admin fees, so first payment would be £51.25 then 7 @£31.25 permonth and you cant find that amount per month,
have you rang your local council about jobs, ask if they would pay a home course or send you to college to take the course if you work for them full time. if you ring LC and ask for Iain or Jenny she may even help you pay over a longer time if you explain your problems to them , they are very helpfull, really, what have you to loose.

windy

hey windy. Yea i rung them earlier on and spoke to them about it....They were very helpful indeed :). I'm thinking on doing the course after xmas....when i have a bit of money to put down for the deposit.

I've spoken to my local council and they said what ACE said...it's all externally hired people now because it saves them money and time.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 18:52:22 »
Most local councils now have contractors to do their parks and gardens,I doubt if there are any left that do it in house and if they did they would not fund you for college.

I note you do not have transport. How are you going to run your tools around?

If you find work in horticulture working for a company or Garden centre you will be paid minimum rate wages, they only pay more if you are qualified. Although there are equal opportunities, most will not take you on unless you look strong as it is hard work.

I have worked in horticulture for 35 years and it is only since I have been working for myself that I have made any money. But I have over £10,000 worth of equipment which includes a decent van which is essential.

Garden design is one of the options that some ladies take, but you need to get a name, which means showing off your skills at garden shows. To build a small garden at a show will set you back at least £4,000, so you need sponsors, who will only sponsor you if you are really good.

There are thousands of budding designers doing it at the moment. But only a couple of hundred making any real money.

I know this sounds very negative, but I hope you can find a way in, Try joining your local horticultural association. They can sometime give you some inside information. Get then to do a community area or adopt a school/hospital garden and get your name in the papers.

I don't know what I intend to do with it really. I know having a car is very inconvenient.....but it's how it is.

Minimum wage isn't a problem. I've was on £9000/annum a couple of years ago so i doubt it's going to get very much lower than that.

I'm not looking to be the next big thing to be on telly or be really famous or anything....i just really enjoy working with plants and i want to know everything about them so that i can be a better gardener. Because right now i know nothing really....and that's mainly why i want to start with the RHS level 2 because it'll give me some good foundations to work on.

And i'm pretty strong i think. I've shifted about 7 tonnes of soil in the last few weeks. I used to work at a DIY store where i had to lift heavy stuff all the time. I think I work pretty hard at most things.

every field is really competitive. I used to be a budding graphic designer once and that's even more competitive.

I know experience is very important in any field.....but right now...i just want to do this for me...i'd even love to work in a nursery....or even just water the plants at a garden centre.

I know what you're trying to say.....but i really don't want to think that far in detail. I just want a step up right now.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 18:53:16 »
Or look on newsagent notice boards / in newspapers for someone who needs a bit of basic weeding etc done for them that might earn you enough to fund a course like Windy's doing - it's worth a try!

You could see if your local council is going any evening classes, anything that is a start would help you decide if you want to do a full course.

Good luck

T.

yea i have been keeping an eye out on stuff like that. there hasn't really been anything or any interest so far. but thanks for the advice though :)

windygale

• Acre
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 22:51:04 »
hi wahaj. great news about xmas course,
have you looked in the Thomson local phone book, under gardening, nurseries, landscaping services, explain to these firms, you might get lucky,

windy
my allotment
heaven

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 22:56:22 »
Hi

Good luck, You could try contacting one of the landscaping companys have a look and see if any have had chealsea flower show....

http://www.upmystreet.com/UK/findmynearest/home-and-garden/gardens/garden-centres-and-nurseries/results/in/Leeds-4292.html

Have a look at nurserys -you can work your way up and perhapse they can train you up as a plantsman.

Target ones with national collections.

You might also want to apply for the job at the RHS

http://www.rhs.org.uk/about/vacancies.asp#GardenerSeedDept

OK you dont have the qualification but you have practical experiance with the allotment!!

Other alternative is to plant next year to obtain lots of seeds and sell on ebay :-)

cambourne7

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 19:20:10 »
Good set of GCSE's there Wahaj.... I'd be happy with them mine are much more C heavy..
 ::)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 19:44:08 »
Hi

Good luck, You could try contacting one of the landscaping companys have a look and see if any have had chealsea flower show....

http://www.upmystreet.com/UK/findmynearest/home-and-garden/gardens/garden-centres-and-nurseries/results/in/Leeds-4292.html

Have a look at nurserys -you can work your way up and perhapse they can train you up as a plantsman.

Target ones with national collections.

You might also want to apply for the job at the RHS

http://www.rhs.org.uk/about/vacancies.asp#GardenerSeedDept

OK you dont have the qualification but you have practical experiance with the allotment!!

Other alternative is to plant next year to obtain lots of seeds and sell on ebay :-)

cambourne7

thanks for the links and stuff. I've rung round all the garden cantres and nurseries today that i can possibly get to.....and no one has anything. i then tried to explain to them that i'll take any work...and i'm looking to get into all this and i'm very interested and that i'm looking to do a course in this and stuff.....but some of them didn't even know what RHS was. that's slightly worrying i guess.

i looked at the RHS jobs. I'd love to be able to do some of them. but to be honest....there's no way on earth i could afford to commute down there every day.....or even move down there.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 19:45:23 »
Good set of GCSE's there Wahaj.... I'd be happy with them mine are much more C heavy..

thanks.

but GCSEs dont mean anything anymore. No one even bothers looking what you got in them.....if you have a levels....it's something they look at...but even they don't take people seriously till they've got some proper qualification.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 22:20:49 »
I'm in the teaching profession and held to be something of a pariah for stating the obvious that exams are just a selection hurdle... nobody cares what you got at the previous level....
  :-X

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 07:56:14 »
I'm in the teaching profession and held to be something of a pariah for stating the obvious that exams are just a selection hurdle... nobody cares what you got at the previous level....
  :-X

well it's true though isn't it.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 09:29:21 »
The truth isn't always popular!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 12:28:16 »
The truth isn't always popular!

who cares about being popular. If i wanted to be popular i wouldn't be doing my pond this weekend. instead i'd be out getting drunk in some meat market of a night club just like every other 20 year old.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 20:25:13 »
Good luck. Well done for not going out n getting sloshed and let us know if you find something you enjoy.  ;D ;D ;D
Marigold

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 21:47:26 »
Hi where are you situated.

Im doing the course at a college in Leeds and it means tested on your annual income, so if you earn less than a certain amount and can show proof you may qualify for some type of waiver.

The course is pretty intense and I am so glad that I have taken the option of doing it in a classroom situation, learn a heck of alot more through discussion than I would sat looking at paperwork. Suppose everyone has their own learning style/ preference though.

hope it works out in the end for you.

trina
never drive faster than angels can fly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal