General > RHS Question & Answer

How do I get into it?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Tulipa:
Or look on newsagent notice boards / in newspapers for someone who needs a bit of basic weeding etc done for them that might earn you enough to fund a course like Windy's doing - it's worth a try!

You could see if your local council is going any evening classes, anything that is a start would help you decide if you want to do a full course.

Good luck

T.

wahaj:

--- Quote from: windygale on November 09, 2006, 15:40:35 ---hi wahja, sorry to hear that, did you look at learning curve, as the total price will be around £250 but you can split it down to 8 installments which works out to around £31.25 per month plus £ 20.00  for admin fees, so first payment would be £51.25 then 7 @£31.25 permonth and you cant find that amount per month,
have you rang your local council about jobs, ask if they would pay a home course or send you to college to take the course if you work for them full time. if you ring LC and ask for Iain or Jenny she may even help you pay over a longer time if you explain your problems to them , they are very helpfull, really, what have you to loose.

windy

--- End quote ---

hey windy. Yea i rung them earlier on and spoke to them about it....They were very helpful indeed :). I'm thinking on doing the course after xmas....when i have a bit of money to put down for the deposit.

I've spoken to my local council and they said what ACE said...it's all externally hired people now because it saves them money and time.

wahaj:

--- Quote from: ACE on November 09, 2006, 17:18:14 ---Most local councils now have contractors to do their parks and gardens,I doubt if there are any left that do it in house and if they did they would not fund you for college.

I note you do not have transport. How are you going to run your tools around?

If you find work in horticulture working for a company or Garden centre you will be paid minimum rate wages, they only pay more if you are qualified. Although there are equal opportunities, most will not take you on unless you look strong as it is hard work.

I have worked in horticulture for 35 years and it is only since I have been working for myself that I have made any money. But I have over £10,000 worth of equipment which includes a decent van which is essential.

Garden design is one of the options that some ladies take, but you need to get a name, which means showing off your skills at garden shows. To build a small garden at a show will set you back at least £4,000, so you need sponsors, who will only sponsor you if you are really good.

There are thousands of budding designers doing it at the moment. But only a couple of hundred making any real money.

I know this sounds very negative, but I hope you can find a way in, Try joining your local horticultural association. They can sometime give you some inside information. Get then to do a community area or adopt a school/hospital garden and get your name in the papers.

--- End quote ---

I don't know what I intend to do with it really. I know having a car is very inconvenient.....but it's how it is.

Minimum wage isn't a problem. I've was on £9000/annum a couple of years ago so i doubt it's going to get very much lower than that.

I'm not looking to be the next big thing to be on telly or be really famous or anything....i just really enjoy working with plants and i want to know everything about them so that i can be a better gardener. Because right now i know nothing really....and that's mainly why i want to start with the RHS level 2 because it'll give me some good foundations to work on.

And i'm pretty strong i think. I've shifted about 7 tonnes of soil in the last few weeks. I used to work at a DIY store where i had to lift heavy stuff all the time. I think I work pretty hard at most things.

every field is really competitive. I used to be a budding graphic designer once and that's even more competitive.

I know experience is very important in any field.....but right now...i just want to do this for me...i'd even love to work in a nursery....or even just water the plants at a garden centre.

I know what you're trying to say.....but i really don't want to think that far in detail. I just want a step up right now.

wahaj:

--- Quote from: tulippa on November 09, 2006, 17:31:27 ---Or look on newsagent notice boards / in newspapers for someone who needs a bit of basic weeding etc done for them that might earn you enough to fund a course like Windy's doing - it's worth a try!

You could see if your local council is going any evening classes, anything that is a start would help you decide if you want to do a full course.

Good luck

T.

--- End quote ---

yea i have been keeping an eye out on stuff like that. there hasn't really been anything or any interest so far. but thanks for the advice though :)

windygale:
hi wahaj. great news about xmas course,
have you looked in the Thomson local phone book, under gardening, nurseries, landscaping services, explain to these firms, you might get lucky,

windy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version