General > RHS Question & Answer

How do I get into it?

<< < (5/7) > >>

wahaj:

--- Quote from: ted72 on November 21, 2006, 21:47:26 ---Hi where are you situated.

Im doing the course at a college in Leeds and it means tested on your annual income, so if you earn less than a certain amount and can show proof you may qualify for some type of waiver.

The course is pretty intense and I am so glad that I have taken the option of doing it in a classroom situation, learn a heck of alot more through discussion than I would sat looking at paperwork. Suppose everyone has their own learning style/ preference though.

hope it works out in the end for you.

trina

--- End quote ---

there's is a college nearby that does it. It's moulton college near northampton. But it'd cost me a fortune to get back and forth. and the main problem is that the course is one night a week, 7-9. there are no buses back at that time. so it's not really an option.

and yea i agree...it's so much more helpful to learn in a class.

Garden Manager:
I too have been looking to get into horticulture as a career. I love working with plants and gardening, and would love to work in a big estate garden.

I started off a few years ago doing a couple of college courses (self funded out of savings - hoped resulting work would help replace the money). However since finishing I have been unable to find suitable work, though not through want of trying. Was reluctant to go down the 'jobbing gardener' route as i wanted job security and a regular income. Nothing localy so expanded search to further afield - deciding i f i had to relocate to find the right job then so be it. Still nothing. Seems as if for all the qualifications you hold without the right sort of work experience employers just arent intersted. Creating and working in your own/parents garden for nothing and gaining loads of gardening expereince in the process, just is not enough it seems to persuade employers to give you a try.

So I have continued to apply for jobs, whilst doing oither things to earn an income, continuing to gain gardening experience in my own garden - just in case! Come the new year I will be looking again at becoming a 'jobbing' gardener. That of course will require some investment in equipment, which I may not be able to afford.

Never mind i am sure I will get there in the end. My advice would be, if you want it, go for it.

wahaj:
thanks cadet. yea i know what you mean....its like that with a lot of stuff really, but as you very well know.....without someone giving you a chance, you cant really get any experience, without as you say, becoming a jobbing gardener.

and unless you have recognisable qualifications like the RHS courses to degree level, i doubt its going to mean much.

but yea, i think i'll try and have a go at it again in the new year.

fluffygrue:

--- Quote from: wahaj on December 26, 2006, 12:12:15 ---and unless you have recognisable qualifications like the RHS courses to degree level, i doubt its going to mean much.but yea, i think i'll try and have a go at it again in the new year.

--- End quote ---

Just my 2p, but I've completed year 1 of the course, and can honestly say I learned nothing. You read the A4A forums regularly, so I reckon you already know more than the Level 2 course will teach you. I'd only consider doing the course if you really think it'll help you get a job at the end of it. :)

wahaj:

--- Quote from: fluffygrue on January 12, 2007, 22:36:34 ---
--- Quote from: wahaj on December 26, 2006, 12:12:15 ---and unless you have recognisable qualifications like the RHS courses to degree level, i doubt its going to mean much.but yea, i think i'll try and have a go at it again in the new year.

--- End quote ---

Just my 2p, but I've completed year 1 of the course, and can honestly say I learned nothing. You read the A4A forums regularly, so I reckon you already know more than the Level 2 course will teach you. I'd only consider doing the course if you really think it'll help you get a job at the end of it. :)

--- End quote ---

oh yea definately...that's what i meant. i'm sure i know most of the stuff in the course.....but it's just what's on paper that counts sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version