General > RHS Question & Answer

How do I get into it?

(1/7) > >>

wahaj:
I've been thinking long and hard for the last few weeks...and I'm really considering a career in Horticulture. I've always been "into" my gardening....and even though it's the first year I've actually attempted it, it's always something that's interested me.

The problem is I have no idea where to start even finding out what my options are, costs, time etc.

Basically I'm 20 and I have my GCSEs....5 As, 4 Bs, and 2 Cs. Nothing after that unfortunately. I tried AS levels twice at 2 different colleges, but it just didn't work out, I basically had a lot going on to keep my mind on it.

I'm on an average wage...working about 40 hours at my job....so I'm preferably looking for something that I can do at home? or something in the evenings. And money is a huge factor in it all, well....mainly the fact that I don't have any.

So guys...where do I start lol.

windygale:
Hi Wahaj, the way i did it, was to ask at my local college of the types of gardening courses they had, full time, part time, evening, or long distance, the course I'm on at this time i pay monthly as money is tight as well here, but you'll find that most colleges will help you out as they need the people (you --me--us all) to keep them open, (just click on this link and it will take you to the site)give www.learning-curve.org  a look, they are very helpfull, as you'll find any other college will be.
have you asked at your local works & pension office, they will be able to help you and advise you about getting any financial help, college grants, do the course now and pay it back when you work.

for work-- ask at your local council, parks department, for part time or weekend work, then when you have been there for a while you 'll know if you like gardening and want to take it up full time,
hope this helps
windy

wahaj:

--- Quote from: windygale on November 09, 2006, 10:45:50 ---Hi Wahaj, the way i did it, was to ask at my local college of the types of gardening courses they had, full time, part time, evening, or long distance, the course I'm on at this time i pay monthly as money is tight as well here, but you'll find that most colleges will help you out as they need the people (you --me--us all) to keep them open, (just click on this link and it will take you to the site)give www.learning-curve.org  a look, they are very helpfull, as you'll find any other college will be.
have you asked at your local works & pension office, they will be able to help you and advise you about getting any financial help, college grants, do the course now and pay it back when you work.

for work-- ask at your local council, parks department, for part time or weekend work, then when you have been there for a while you 'll know if you like gardening and want to take it up full time,
hope this helps
windy

--- End quote ---

thanks windy. i rung the bank today and got declined for a loan. rung student loans and they says they don't fund anything if it's not involved with a college or uni. because the one i want to do is a home course for RHS level 2.

the one at college would cost a lot more and i'd have to go to it once every week after work aswell but i don't have a car so it's not really an option.

i guess i'll have to wait for another couple of months and see if my credit rating's any better to get a loan.

windygale:
hi wahja, sorry to hear that, did you look at learning curve, as the total price will be around £250 but you can split it down to 8 installments which works out to around £31.25 per month plus £ 20.00  for admin fees, so first payment would be £51.25 then 7 @£31.25 permonth and you cant find that amount per month,
have you rang your local council about jobs, ask if they would pay a home course or send you to college to take the course if you work for them full time. if you ring LC and ask for Iain or Jenny she may even help you pay over a longer time if you explain your problems to them , they are very helpfull, really, what have you to loose.

windy

ACE:
Most local councils now have contractors to do their parks and gardens,I doubt if there are any left that do it in house and if they did they would not fund you for college.

I note you do not have transport. How are you going to run your tools around?

If you find work in horticulture working for a company or Garden centre you will be paid minimum rate wages, they only pay more if you are qualified. Although there are equal opportunities, most will not take you on unless you look strong as it is hard work.

I have worked in horticulture for 35 years and it is only since I have been working for myself that I have made any money. But I have over £10,000 worth of equipment which includes a decent van which is essential.

Garden design is one of the options that some ladies take, but you need to get a name, which means showing off your skills at garden shows. To build a small garden at a show will set you back at least £4,000, so you need sponsors, who will only sponsor you if you are really good.

There are thousands of budding designers doing it at the moment. But only a couple of hundred making any real money.

I know this sounds very negative, but I hope you can find a way in, Try joining your local horticultural association. They can sometime give you some inside information. Get then to do a community area or adopt a school/hospital garden and get your name in the papers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version