Author Topic: HELP GAVIN  (Read 9069 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
HELP GAVIN
« on: April 16, 2004, 19:27:34 »
 Gavin can you help me please.    I have a HP printer and it won`t print it has an orange light that keeps on flashing on a teardrop
symbol.all this has happened for no reason i hardly use it.  Paper is correct ,ink jet is very new,it is just sat there what could have gone wrong ,it chewed up 2 sheets of paper this morning. ??? .
why did i ever buy a computer i know nothing about these things :'(
i am so fed up with it ,i think i shall shut it all down.  Rosebud.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:HELP GAVIN
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 20:52:30 »
Eh up, Rosebud. Don't panic. There is a solution. Actually there's two. The easiest one is to take all the paper out. Then press the button on the right, that's the green one that looks like a drunken letter 'C' with a line inside it. Your printer will go 'clinkaty-clank'...don't worry. Then put in about a 1/4" of paper and press that one again. If you have anything in memory it will start to print. If not, press the 'arrow button' next to the 'teardrop' icon.
Plan 'B' is to unplug it. Make sure you have paper in and plug it in again. That'll do it. If it doesn't, give me a shout.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 22:28:37 »
Printers! ??? ??? ???

I have a friend (THE computer expert in the organisation) who had to buy our then employer a new printer - he'd got so frustrated with its behaviour, that he'd raised his fist, and smashed it through the top cover (and a bit more besides!).  And the gentlest, most laid-back person, you couldn't hope to find anywhere!!!!!!!!

A few thoughts - and it's years since I used an HP printer - sorry!  If Ken's suggestions don't work (especially switching off the priinter completely, unplugging, and switching on again) ----  

- Tear-drop = ink cartridge problem?  Empty?  Thinks it's empty?  Sounds like it - I use cheap ink refills 3 out of 4 cartridges - worth a try refilling the cartridge?

- Is there ANY debris messing up the printer?  Bits of torn paper in the paper path?  Wads of cat hair (guess where my cat decided she HAD to sleep, while she was pregnant!!!)  Paper clips?  Biro tops?  Sweetie papers (guess where my kids chuck rubbish, thinking I won't find it - silly little people!!!).

- is there a self-test progarmme, where your printer can test itself?  What does it say?

And before you think the machine is beating you, your computer is the STUPIDEST machine ever invented!  It will ONLY do precisely as told - and this calls for a little bit of creativity on our part!

All good wishes - Gavin

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 12:39:43 »
 HI GAVI & KENKEW,wel i have always thought of myself as a reasonably calm person BUTtoday i am turning into the incredible hulk ,iam getting so angry and fed up with this STUPID printer. >:(

Gentlemen the story so far...........I have done everything suggested.
May i tell you the symbols....
1,circle with x inside.
2 teardrop.
3 circle with what looks like a paper shape.
4 round circle with smaller circle inside with a straight line ie i.

NOW A MESSAGE HAS COME UP TWICE SAYING
An error has accoured with USB001 :'(

WHAT NEXT with this flipping thing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh :'(
 from totally stressed Rosebud. ps shall i go PM?

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 17:06:26 »
No don't do that Rosebud I'm waiting for you to turn green and rip all your clothes off.

Then you can make copies of the photograph and sell them on the net. Charge for them though  - so that you can get a new printer!!!

Problem solved eh????  ;D ;D ;D

Did I make you laugh - did I - huh?? Feel better now??

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 19:20:52 »
Yes Eileen you did make me laugh  ;D ;D ;D.
My sister got cross with me she said you will give yourself an angina attack,i said not before i bash the puter up i won`t ;D ;D
 Oh Eileen it is getting on my nerves if i buy a new one i woulden`t know how to install it ,why do i do these things....
The learn direct course i am on cheered me up when i got my certificate thought it was all worth it,maybe it will be ok i can still use me puter eh!. ::)
 I am going to change into my green raggy shorts now ;D ;D
my printer won`t like me when i`m angry it might work (not) :D ;D ;) :).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 20:55:07 »
Have you tried HP support?? = Tim

SueT

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 21:36:28 »
Threaten it with a hammer Rosebud!!  ;D
Sue

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 21:55:59 »
Hi Tim i went into a computer shop today and got a number,
but i shall wait and see if anyone can help untill monday when they open,hopefully KK or Gavin can.

Yes sue i have threatened the hammer but it refuses to believe
that i will use it Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! ;D

SueT

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 22:47:11 »
Call it`s bluff Rosebud, whack it! ;D
Sue

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 22:49:34 »
Sorry, Rosebud - with USB stuff I'm out of my depth.  I know what I would try to do - but I wouldn't know what I'm actually doing, or why ;D ;D

But that would be a very silly game to play with somebody else's computer - sorry can't be more help on this one ??? ??? ???

Good luck, Gavin  

Hey, and put the hammer away - it's solvable (if frustrating getting there!) :) :) :)

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 00:13:47 »
Hi Rosebud,

If it was me, who knows nothing, I would reload the software that came with your printer.
Chloe:)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 19:09:18 »
Thanks anyway Gavin ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 19:10:43 »
Hi Chloe thank you i will try that.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 19:15:56 »
HI SUE well i am giving it one more chance then that is it ;D
been away from it allday my son ran the Marathon today and we went to support him, he finished in 4hrs 11mins not bad eh
so the printer got a reprieve for today only .i am going to rerun software as suggested. ;D
            Rosebud.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 09:12:21 »
Your warning 'USB001' is telling you that the line into your 'puter from the printer isn't working. Could be a loose connection. The USB port isn't as firmly held in as the older parallel port which was the norm. Check the lead and connections at both ends.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 15:13:46 »
 Hi K K thank you, when my husband comes home i shall ask him to check.    He hates the computer can`t think why ;D.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal