Author Topic: Viginia Creeper Propagation  (Read 3238 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Viginia Creeper Propagation
« on: November 04, 2006, 18:58:05 »
Hey,

There's this library near me that at this time of the year looks like it's on fire. the leaves of the virginia creeper covering it it's bright red. I know it's a very invasive vine......but how do i propagate it? and what time of the year would be best to do it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Viginia Creeper Propagation
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 20:47:51 »
I look forward to the answers to this, I love virginia creeper and don't know how to propagate it either   :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 20:51:32 »
Take a walk around the plant, look for any pieces along the ground, take a closer look you may find some with roots. A slight tug and you have what was called years ago " A Irishmans cutting" put in a plastic bag and in your handbag. Go when not many people are around this time of year should be good. Other wise look for aerial roots off the wall? its what they call plants for free hee hee.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 20:53:36 »
thanks for that, I've got a big handbag :D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 20:58:07 »
Dont do as my Mum did once and go into it for her purse and out fell the B.... cuttings. Afterwards she had a plastic bag inside her bag she got organised. You could go round her garden and she could tell you where all the plants came from. One special woman learnt a lot from her ha ha.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 23:01:40 »
I had it all over my house and eventually ripped it all off, it was a nightmare.

It grows so fast, it gets into the guttering and under roof tiles.  I had to saw through the trunk at the base as it was crushing pipes.  And you have all the leaves to sweep up, too, as it's deciduous.  I still haven't managed to kill it completely, it keeps coming back like something from a bad horror film.   :o

Be very careful where you plant it!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:47:54 »
I had it all over my house and eventually ripped it all off, it was a nightmare.

It grows so fast, it gets into the guttering and under roof tiles.  I had to saw through the trunk at the base as it was crushing pipes.  And you have all the leaves to sweep up, too, as it's deciduous.  I still haven't managed to kill it completely, it keeps coming back like something from a bad horror film.   :o

Be very careful where you plant it!

lol yea i know what you mean...i have the same problem with english ivy growing allover the house. i can never kill it but once it gets higher than a meter or so, i pull it all down. that's what i intend to do with the virginia creeper. It's just to add a low back drop to some plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal