Author Topic: 2 Year Old Blackcurrants  (Read 1199 times)

af20001

2 Year Old Blackcurrants
« on: November 04, 2006, 14:45:19 »
I have found a supplier of 2 year old Blackcurrant plants that I intend to buy. I have read that when you plant blackcurrants you should cut the stems of the plant right down. Does this apply to 2 year old plants as well?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: 2 Year Old Blackcurrants
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 15:06:12 »
Check this out, looks like its to get a good root system, but I have not done it but growing mine as a wind break on lottie from cuttings but never cut them down only old wood out and opened the centre.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/blackcurrant_page2.asp#blackcurrant_plant

Be interesting to hear what others do. 2 year old bushes should have a good root system?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 16:15:07 »
I would wait until you receive the plants and see what condition they are in and then prune out any damaged wood and then to shape only -  wouldn't be too harsh with the pruning as you want to get fruit next year - once they are well established you can then prune out about a third if necessary each year to keep from getting huge - once established b/c's are very tough usually

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 17:08:21 »
I would cut them done completely so as not to get fruit in the first year but allow the plants to build a really good root system for future years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 17:49:43 »
You'd do better to cut it back and leave the fruit for a year. You won't get much the first year anyway, and by the time they've established and grown back from ground level you'll get a much better crop in two years' time. After that, cut back a third every year. you're supposed to cut out the oldest (and darkest) wood but that won't be a factor at first. Just cut the weakest until you can see a colour variation appearing.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 16:12:39 »
Of course if you cut down all the cuttings you can put in for extra bushes nothing wasted ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal