Author Topic: honey fungus  (Read 2108 times)

ACE

• Hectare
honey fungus
« on: November 01, 2006, 19:51:25 »
I am working at a huge garden where the lady wants to revive an old garden that has not been properly looked after for about 15 years. It is about three and a half acres mostly lawn and woodland.

Loads of shrubs and trees have died and I am clearing and burning them and replanting new and different species. About 5 years ago they found they had honey fungus in one area. Everything in that area was cleared and the problem was overcome.

Now there are still piles of logs all over the place, I do not know if they are from affected trees, but do you think they might start the disease up again. Or should I reccomend they clear them out, just in case.

She wants me to make a wildlife wall out of them in the woods.

I have not found any signs of honey fungus in the dying trees and shrubs. They have suffered mainly from an automatic top watering system which has stopped the roots going down deep and  this dry summer has finished them off.

Her new gardener, who will take over the maintenance of the garden when we finish is doing the RHS gardening course so she should be able to spot any nasties that crop up but in the meantime the lady is spending thousands of pounds on new trees and plants and I don't want her to waste her money. Also it is nice that she wants a proper garden instead of turning it into another housing estate.

I have read all about honey fungus so there is no need to point me to another site, I am just worried mainly about the log piles.

What would you do?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: honey fungus
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 20:06:37 »
Presumably they haven't sprouted any honey fuingus! I'd have a good look under the bark to see if I could find any mycelium. If there's none visible after five years, I wouldn't worry. Of course, it's a pretty safe bet that after that long you're going to find all sorts of fungus there, probably just harmless stuff. I think I'd use it without too much worrying myself, but it's up to you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal